Force GPU rendering?

RashMullah

n00b
Hi guys,

I've been custom roms on most of my devices for about the last 6 or so years. Back in the day we used to enable an option called Force GPU rendering. It used to enable smoother animations and GUI.

Now I'm using the Pixel XL and everything is smooth. I'm wondering if there is any reason I should turn it on? Will it improve anything such as battery life or smoothness of the UI?

Pretty sure all the UI aspects are being rendered with the GPU but if you turn on the 2D GPU rendering that technically puts additional load on the GPU so battery life would not improve obviously since you'd be taxing the hardware just a bit more. If you want faster and smoother animations then alter the 3 window animation aspect speeds to .5 or even get rid of them entirely and set them at 0.

As for actual smoothness, how freakin' fast and smooth does a UI need to be, seriously?

The Pixel XL UI is smooth as it is. I'm mainly interested in battery life improvements. That said, I doubt any enthusiast would say no to additional smoothness at no additional cost.

Back