Chrisroman
Gawd
- Joined
- May 29, 2011
- Messages
- 692
E770 motherboard using a C300 as boot drive on the Marvell controller.
Areca ARC1230 controller for RAID6 array
Single hot swap bay plugged into onboard Intel Sata300
I need the top slot of a hotswap bay available to swap drives in and out of system, remaining bays are dedicated to RAID6 array. (See picture below for clarity).
If I connect top bay to ARC1230 controller I must manually assign it as "Passthrough" Then when drive is removed alarm sounds, and if I swap in a different drive then I must again, manualky set that up for passthrough as well. Not a good solution for what I'm tryng to do. So I moved the bay to the onboard Intel Sata300 controller. This works well; I can swap drives in and aout without any issue... until I reboot.
If I leave the drive in the bay attached to the onboard SATA300 controller, it seems to be picked up as the default drive to boot with instead of the onboard Marvell controller where the C300 is attached.
Is there a way to force the Marvell controller to boot as primary and still have the onboard Intel SATA300 active in BIOS with a drive attached? If not, is there a way to do what I want with the Areca controller without having to manually setup passthrough and have alarms going off everytime a drive is removed?
Areca ARC1230 controller for RAID6 array
Single hot swap bay plugged into onboard Intel Sata300
I need the top slot of a hotswap bay available to swap drives in and out of system, remaining bays are dedicated to RAID6 array. (See picture below for clarity).
If I connect top bay to ARC1230 controller I must manually assign it as "Passthrough" Then when drive is removed alarm sounds, and if I swap in a different drive then I must again, manualky set that up for passthrough as well. Not a good solution for what I'm tryng to do. So I moved the bay to the onboard Intel Sata300 controller. This works well; I can swap drives in and aout without any issue... until I reboot.
If I leave the drive in the bay attached to the onboard SATA300 controller, it seems to be picked up as the default drive to boot with instead of the onboard Marvell controller where the C300 is attached.
Is there a way to force the Marvell controller to boot as primary and still have the onboard Intel SATA300 active in BIOS with a drive attached? If not, is there a way to do what I want with the Areca controller without having to manually setup passthrough and have alarms going off everytime a drive is removed?