for what purpose does "cloud" exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the cloud to storage my school papers and working on papers from different computers into one place. I am not into carrying a USB drive but the my school papers will work. Nothing to critical or personal.

Also for family pictures or personal forms, ex. insurance/health insurance forms...

The likelihood of a company like Amazon failing is less likely than the likelihood of enough of your devices in your 'DIY' for you to lose data. Your data is more reliable in the hands of Amazon than it is in yours since Amazon is one of the largest companies around if something does go wrong with your data, you can blame (and likely seek damages from) Amazon.

Why would I want to pay a subscription fee to Amazon for something I can provide myself using existing hardware? It does not compute.

These are some of the reasons companies and people alike use cloud storage. Contrary to what those in tin-foil hairdress will tell you, your data is safer in the cloud.

Yeah tell that to the thousand companies that went offline when AWS crashed some time ago :D

Obviously you don't...not directly, anyways. You have a build/deployment server which accesses the production server and you access the build/deployment server and tell it to publish whatever code you just promoted into your production build from staging/regression. Nothing should ever make it onto a production server directly.
Also, see here.

We have a build/deployment server but nothing is automagically teleported from there to production. It's done by the devs. There is absolutely no harm in putting shared files to http even if the machine is running production. What 'harm' would become from that in your opinnion?

An interesting example is cloud computing. I have worked for a few companies that have used cloud services to run and host some of our major customer facing web applications. Though I could not connect to the production servers directly (either physically or virtually), I was still capable of publishing to it. How was I able to do this? Proper deployment procedures.

Oh yes if you have a big budget you can build whatever you want. There is absolutely zero difference in deploying a broken deployment using a deployment server or by doing it by hand. Either it works or it doesn't. KISS works for us.

Other people can, though, because other people like having their content synchronized automatically, and these people want a real company in charge of that, not some ball of ductape running in the corner of their house.

The ball of duct tape is administered by me, not some Indian 3000 miles away and does the job more cost efficiently and about a thousand times faster.

Excel is properly capable of collaboration, and collaboration requires synchronization. Therefore, cloud solutions can be useful if you use Excel.

HAHAHAHAHA famous last words! Excel is a hazard for any organization that uses it outside of simple spreadsheets.

Statistically speaking, the sizes of the files people generally use cloud storage for make connection speed irrelevant. Cloud storage is useful on nearly any connection, because the people moving large (200 mb+) files around regularly are statistically irrelevant.

Yeah like that previous poster who had to wait for a month to resync the files through WAN lol. When gigabit internet becomes the norm I will start to think the cloud is a viable option. But we're statistically speaking still about a lightyear away from that goal.

Again, the point is just because it doesn't suit YOUR particular needs doesn't mean it could suit OTHER people. There are plenty of reasons to use the cloud. I don't use the cloud because I prefer not to use it, but that doesn't mean I can't see why other people would use it.

We have a build/deployment server but nothing is automagically teleported from there to production. It's done by the devs. There is absolutely no harm in putting shared files to http even if the machine is running production. What 'harm' would become from that in your opinnion?

Then what's the point of the build server? Everything about your company literally makes no sense. I literally think this 'company' you own 25% of is fictitious.

The ball of duct tape is administered by me, not some Indian 3000 miles away and does the job more cost efficiently and about a thousand times faster.

I think if you actually tried cloud services, you'd figure out how ridiculously out of touch your idea of cloud services is.

HAHAHAHAHA famous last words! Excel is a hazard for any organization that uses it outside of simple spreadsheets.

Even spreadsheets require collaboration sometimes.

When gigabit internet becomes the norm I will start to think the cloud is a viable option. But we're statistically speaking still about a lightyear away from that goal.

Again, you didn't read. Most people aren't uploading files anywhere near large enough for their connection speed to matter.

Then what's the point of the build server? Everything about your company literally makes no sense. I literally think this 'company' you own 25% of is fictitious.

By 'build server' I mean the development environment and the testing environment where stuff is run before getting released. I could care less of what you think so don't worry.

I think if you actually tried cloud services, you'd figure out how ridiculously out of touch your idea of cloud services is.

I have tried Amazon and many other cloud services and I have found deploying my own hardware much more pleasing. In business we couldn't even use providers such as Amazon since some of the customers require the services to be hosted within country borders.

Even spreadsheets require collaboration sometimes.

And for spreadsheet use that is kinda acceptable - but usually borders to the stage where a dedicated app would serve the company much better than a McGyvered Excel. Typically companies who use Excels maintain information there, then they have to retype much of the information to their ERP system manually because they can't set up any sensible integration using Excel. Excel use typically leads into double or triple work.

Again, you didn't read. Most people aren't uploading files anywhere near large enough for their connection speed to matter.

Even if the file is 5kb large the connection speed matters. A wait is a wait - and if you have no connection whatsoever you're out of luck. I would think that most people who want to use a cloud storage would do so to store and share their digital images and video. Those are typically extremely time and space consuming.

What sort of 'small files' do you personally need to store in cloud? I'm asking out of curiosity because I really can't see what the need is.

I have tried Amazon and many other cloud services and I have found deploying my own hardware much more pleasing. In business we couldn't even use providers such as Amazon since some of the customers require the services to be hosted within country borders.

Oh really? Because a page ago you already said this:

I have not and will not use third party cloud storage providers. Megaupload is a fine example of what can happen if the provider gets into financial or legal trouble. Hundreds of thousands of users lost their data *poof*.

We get it. Nothing you say is true. You've made up so many lies in this thread that you can't even yourself keep them straight.

Clearly you're here to troll. Now please, find something better to do (like a job, maybe, since obviously this software company you claim you own 25% of doesn't exist), and let those of us who are trying to legitimately discuss the value and purpose of 'the cloud' do so in peace.

Oh really? Because a page ago you already said this:

We get it. Nothing you say is true. You've made up so many lies in this thread that you can't even yourself keep them straight.

Clearly you're here to troll. Now please, find something better to do (like a job, maybe, since obviously this software company you claim you own 25% of doesn't exist), and let those of us who are trying to legitimately discuss the value and purpose of 'the cloud' do so in peace.

Trying and using are two different things. Reading comprehension!

How do you think I could have an opinion on clouds if I never even tried them? For EFS sake.

I see that you failed to come up with any reasonable usage scenarios too as you avoided my question totally and decided that a character attack would serve your purpose better :D

Megaupload is a BD comparison, everyone knows the majority of it's content was illegal, unlike Amazon and other companies that are %100 U.S based and registered companies, they wont let some illegal software shut down their business, so they are far more strict on allowing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back