For those that run cisco gear at home

millhouse

Limp Gawd
I was able to get my hands on a 1720 from work (freebie) and thought about running it at home as opposed to my shitty linksys. I figure I want to hear what you guys say before I bother configuring one only to end up not using it.

I personally dont foresee any problems doing this but hey, you never know.

Do you know how to program a Cisco IOS device? It's not a device that plugs in and just works out of the box.

The Linksys will be a lot easier to setup and maintain, but if you want to experiment or have a lot more control over your Internet the Cisco will do just about anything you want it to.

If I had my choice I would go for the Cisco (but I am a CCNP so it kinda is my thing).

1720 isn't too powerful but for home cable/dsl it will work well if it has a WIC-1ENET module so you get a second Ethernet port.

dont scare the guy.

17xx routers have an SDM configuration app that is similar (but more powerful) to the linksys browser config. It should be available on cisco's website.

Kaos said:
dont scare the guy.

17xx routers have an SDM configuration app that is similar (but more powerful) to the linksys browser config. It should be available on cisco's website.

lol

SDM's cool. You can find it here

Bean Dip said:
Do you know how to program a Cisco IOS device? It's not a device that plugs in and just works out of the box.

The Linksys will be a lot easier to setup and maintain, but if you want to experiment or have a lot more control over your Internet the Cisco will do just about anything you want it to.

If I had my choice I would go for the Cisco (but I am a CCNP so it kinda is my thing).

Well, I am a CCIE so configuration shouldnt be an issue......nOOb. =D I was just curious who does it more or less. I am more than profiecent in configuring the device, =just making small talk because I was bored.

I'm running a catalyst 2924 switch and my 3640 router is on the way for my home setup. Of course the only reason I'm running this stuff is because I'm studying for my CCNA. :)

So far I like running the cisco switch at home, nothing like being able to hook up everything in the house. For some reason I actually find cisco equipment easier to setup than the soho crap with their cheesy browser interfaces.

Well, I run a 1720 at home right now using IOS 12.2.11-T(10). It works perfectly for me on Cox HSI. The only issues were that I had to set the interface client-id (ip address dhcp client-id Ethernet0) on my external interface, or it would get a strange IP and go nowhere (so it must think its a Cox internal network device without it). I have a simple config with a good ACL and IDS and it works great. Good luck with it.

P.S. I serve 15 computers in my freaking house with this Cox link and my new Poweredge 4400 that I got for $300. I am crazy, but its fun. Its a weird life when you are doing DC demotion and replacement in a house.

P.P.S another important point. At least for Cox, I had to make sure that the external interface was set to half duplex wth my Motorola Surfboard Cable modem. If it was on full, I would get a billion input errors on the interface and I would get rancid bandwidth, half duplex it and it was perfect.

Back