For those still looking for a Wii

I was absolutely sold on the system until I owned one. The idea behind it is awesome, but the reality just isn't as fun as the idea...

I was absolutely sold on the system until I owned one. The idea behind it is awesome, but the reality just isn't as fun as the idea...

I agree, in that there just aren't enough decent games right now. I'm also not 100% sold that it'll be all that great for every type of game.

I agree, in that there just aren't enough decent games right now. I'm also not 100% sold that it'll be all that great for every type of game.

True, games like Zelda I think would be better suited for the traditional type of controller (for everything other than fishing and aiming the bow...), but games like golf and baseball and such are great on the system. I really didn't bust out Wii Sports until right before my system sold but it was alot of fun, although I wish it was a bit deeper. I just don't think there's enough titles that I would enjoy to carry the system for me.

And honestly (for anyone who's looking to buy one still) I'd wait for a few months (5-6 I'd say) as I think there's going to be a huge amount of them being re-sold by people who have had the novelty of the system wear off. I figure that if/when that happens I can nab one again cheap for my then wife to "ease" her into the video-gaming culture :D

I wasnt sold when i got one, but i had to have all 3 new consoles anyway. Wii Sports was awesome for the first few days, then the uniqueness of the controller wore away. Beat zelda, then the other games just left me wanting a traditional controller to play.

Seems like the only games that will really be cool with this will be sword/fishing/etc type games. Metroid looks to be an exception, but i dont have faith in 3rd party companies to make use of the controller properly and fear the majority of games for the Wii will all end up feeling suspiciously alike, just in different packaging.

Well, ill take a Wii off your guys hands for retail if you don't want yours:p haha

Not that I even want one, but I would be willing to try it for awhile:)

Seems like the only games that will really be cool with this will be sword/fishing/etc type games.

But even that was dissappointing for me! The sword fighting in Zelda was more like sword shaking...since the remote didn't pick up all my movements when I swung my hands I ended up just shaking the remote from side to side and the attacks worked fine. But...that's boring. Who wants to sit there and shake a remote? Not only that, but it doesn't matter how you swing your arm, Link swings his sword the same way every time...

Fishing...was really kind of glitchy for me. With the original pole with no reel I could jerk the remote towards my head and nothing would happen on the screen. It was weird just getting the fish to me...the reel was cool but once again...novelty (although one that I think would take a while to wear off).

But even that was dissappointing for me! The sword fighting in Zelda was more like sword shaking...since the remote didn't pick up all my movements when I swung my hands I ended up just shaking the remote from side to side and the attacks worked fine. But...that's boring. Who wants to sit there and shake a remote? Not only that, but it doesn't matter how you swing your arm, Link swings his sword the same way every time...

Fishing...was really kind of glitchy for me. With the original pole with no reel I could jerk the remote towards my head and nothing would happen on the screen. It was weird just getting the fish to me...the reel was cool but once again...novelty (although one that I think would take a while to wear off).

Im with you. I kinda feel like if someone is gonna use this technology, it needs to be as close to 1:1 as you can make it, otherwise you just feel limited and it does feel gimicky. Turns into frustration.

Well, ill take a Wii off your guys hands for retail if you don't want yours:p haha

Not that I even want one, but I would be willing to try it for awhile:)

I'd do it if I hadn't already sold mine. Well, that's a lie. My sister is looking for one, I'd just give it to her. She's having a devil of a time finding one, but I really believe she fits into the "target audience" demographic that Nintendo is aiming at with the Wii.

They really are doing a great job marketing it to the "casual" consumer. She's never been a big video gamer, doesn't have alot of time to devote to games (she's pregnant and a nurse...soon she'll have a lil' tyke running around). There's not much of a learning curve to most of the games I've seen. And I'll be the first to admit, to a non-gamer the 360 or PS3 controller has got to look intimidating. Buttons everywhere, two sticks...what the heck do they do with all those buttons!? The Wii remote looks simple, and fun. It fits in the hand nicely and the biggest controls you need to know are how to move your hands...

And it seems fun. You get to run around and wave your arms more or less.

That just wasn't what I was looking for...

For those who can't find Wiimotes and nunchuk's I randomly walked through Toys-R-Us on Saturday and they had probably 10+ of each (no Wii's...not that I was looking for one).

I'll echo this for NE Ohio (Mentor TRU specifically). No Wiis but at least 10 of each Wiimotes, Nunchucks, and Classic Controllers.

Also, I ordered my Nunchuck and Classic Controller from the Nintendo website about two weeks ago and it was delivered in about a week. Tax + $7 shipping for 2-day.

Im with you. I kinda feel like if someone is gonna use this technology, it needs to be as close to 1:1 as you can make it, otherwise you just feel limited and it does feel gimicky. Turns into frustration.

You guys are one crack, LOL. I've had mine since day 1 and it's *still* the most played console in the house. There are unquestionably some titles that just tacked on the motion sensing (Rampage for one, but Zelda is NOT one of those titles that feels tacked on), which is to be expected right now, at the start of the tech's lifecycle. At the least, you can say that the Wii's launch lineup is vastly superior to either Xbox 360's or PS3's at launch.

Not all games need 1:1 control, that's an absurd assertion. Some certainly will--Red Steel would have benefited greatly from 1:1 controls--but for others, just the motion is plenty.

You guys should try out Excite Truck. I never did until this weekend (hate racing games), but I have to say it's FUN as hell. I sat and played the damn thing for like 6 hours straight :D

I wouldn't want to play a 40+ hour RPG (Zelda) with 1:1 movements on the controls. It would be exhausting after two hours of play.

Action-packed games are fun with the WiiMote, but a long RPG-style game? No thanks.

You guys are one crack, LOL. I've had mine since day 1 and it's *still* the most played console in the house. There are unquestionably some titles that just tacked on the motion sensing (Rampage for one, but Zelda is NOT one of those titles that feels tacked on), which is to be expected right now, at the start of the tech's lifecycle. At the least, you can say that the Wii's launch lineup is vastly superior to either Xbox 360's or PS3's at launch.

Not all games need 1:1 control, that's an absurd assertion. Some certainly will--Red Steel would have benefited greatly from 1:1 controls--but for others, just the motion is plenty.

You guys should try out Excite Truck. I never did until this weekend (hate racing games), but I have to say it's FUN as hell. I sat and played the damn thing for like 6 hours straight :D

Im the only one in my house that video games on consoles. My wife prefers to play Oblivion and NWN2 on her PC, and we dont have kids yet. So honestly the Wii doesnt really get played much because most of the time its just me playing it. I do break it out if my wifes inlaws are in or other, but otherwise it pretty much just stays off. At least until the online MP games start coming.

Id rather be playing NHL07 online/GoW online/ or Street fighter 2 on 360 arcade online. I'm just playing the waiting game on the Wii right now. And i wont bother inciting the PS3 and why i play it more than the Wii because you wil lhave an irrational impulse response as usual when someone brings up why they would play a PS3 more.

But definitely dont take it as a knock on the Wii, i just prefer online competetiveness in any of my gaming.

Didn't like Excite Truck... But like I said, there is a market for the Wii, it just really wan't for me. I thought "new motion sensing controls" were a novelty and pseudo gimick and would rather have a traditional controller on most applications...

Back