For those of you familiar with freeNAS/ubuntu..

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
I need some help.

I just got a freeNAS box setup with an 80GB drive as well as 2 40's that I'm still trying to get to show up on the network (software RAID1).

Right now, the RAID problem is secondary.

The main problem is that my laptop, which I have running Ubuntu 7.10 can't seem to access the "windows network". In which, shutting the laptop off completely from the server. My XP box (Desktop) picks it up fine and I can copy data to it and everything.

How can I get my laptop to find the server?

And as a secondary objective, why can't I see the RAID 1 setup?

did you install samba on ubuntu

try this

sudo apt-get install samba

sudo apt-get install smbfs

after that it may take some time for the shares to show up but you should still be able to find them with the ip address

Still not showing up. Heres what I get.

Screenshot-1.png

go to the share folders in the administration tab and change the workgroup you are in

also did you try connecting using the IP adress of the server?

connecting to the IP will only get me to the Admin control panel.

no connect to the IP in the file browser not the web browser/firefox

like where you want to see the shares

on the screen where you are trying to connect you see that icon on the far left that looks like a pen and paper click that until you get a field where you can type stuff in

Windows wants a User Name and Pass and Ubuntu says its typed wrong. (mentioned windows, I know, Windows is working fine with it)

Don't complicate things by using samba in Linux if you don't have to. Export the data as an NFS share and mount it that way instead. I know FreeNAS supports that as well.

Don't complicate things by using samba in Linux if you don't have to. Export the data as an NFS share and mount it that way instead. I know FreeNAS supports that as well.

You're gonna have to explain a little.

In FreeNAS you can export data via NFS (network file system) as well. Setup a share like that using the same directory as you do in the SMB share. You can then mount this using the network share utility in Ubuntu. NFS will not require any login information and supports *nix permissions. I would check the FreeNAS docs on enabling/configuring NFS as it is a little bit different, but it's much more native then samba and should give you less trouble.

Yep, I'm with Xipher. You'll experience much less headache with an NFS export than trying to get Samba working. Not because one is better than the other but because NFS was designed on *NIX for *NIX.

Back