For thos of you who buy at the better places…………..;)

BillR

Born Again Cynic
NewEgg has sent our their new promo email and it includes a very nice product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MC-IGNEFL071008-_-VideoCards-_-L0A-_-14130332

If you have the promo code from your email you save an additional 10 buckens.

I believe this card also carries EVGA's famous life time warrantee.

Face it, it's a cheap 5000 PPD;):D

Oh, and please yes this has a MIR and I don't even want to hear it. The manufacture sets those up, not the dealer. If you can read and write you will get the rebate. I have never not obtained a rebate and trust me, that's a lot of years buying stuff;)

I saw that. Another good deal. The 96 stream processors in that 8800GS should compare well to the 112 in the 8800GT.

I'd expect very similar performance.

It should outperform the old G80 8800GTS 640 and 320 esp after its overclocked. Pretty solid deal since the 8800GT 256 is now OOS.

Man, I need some $$$....my daughter's summer camps are taking a bite out of my wallet :(

It should outperform the old G80 8800GTS 640 and 320 esp after its overclocked. Pretty solid deal since the 8800GT 256 is now OOS.

One of the things I liked about this card is it is true single card width. This should allow folks to pop one in a SFF machine like an HTPC and add some folding power.

I already have an 8800 GTS and pushing hard it's a 4000~ PPD card so with a bit of an OC this GS model should easily out perform that card. Not to mention it's a really nice HDTV card as well;)

True, I was thinking of the G92 8800GTs like that Gigabyte 256 you mentioned, when I posted earlier.

Another great OCAU killer deal. ;)

I couldn't resist, purchased one this AM, price to [H]ard to pass up :D
I'll post results soon as I get it.
BTW the 8800GT deal at NE was sold out this AM.

Will this card work in a Dell with a stock 305W power supply?

TDP is 143 watts.
That's a bit of a tight fit for an OEM/Dell 305.

It will probably work. I'd do it to my Dell, but I don't like it much. ;)

Thanks relic ... sounds like the 8800GS isn't worth taking a chance on the PSU being strong enough.

I have to run SMP with the notfred CD to get the maximum points from both of my dualies. It would be nice to be able to use one as a Windows box again.

Lets say that I have a Dual core Opteron @ 2.0GHz that only does about 600PPD on the SMP client. Would that CPU be good enough to feed this aforementioned 8800GS to it full potential?

Lets say that I have a Dual core Opteron @ 2.0GHz that only does about 600PPD on the SMP client. Would that CPU be good enough to feed this aforementioned 8800GS to it full potential?

Yes. No doubt at all.

Thanks BillR! Nice deal. I struggled with this one for a bit as the specs on it compared to a 9600GT and 8800GTS (newer 512/G92 core one) didn't seem that hot. I use this awesome ass site to do quickie comparos between cards, and the smaller frame buffer and memory bus had me thinking for a bit.

But I found a couple links to reviews at the bottom of the 8800GS side of the comaprison, and the one @ Techpowerup gave it good marks for OC, and the stats in that review looked pretty good so I jumped on it a couple hours ago.

@AgrFan -- you may be ok with that 305 PS if it's somewhat efficient. I just installed an 8800GTS 512 G92 core (same core as the 8800GS but the GTS has more shaders and ram which means it'd draw more power. I had a Kill-A-Watt hooked up to the system for some testing before I installed the card and was shocked at the numbers I saw.

System is an E4300 @ 3ghz on a GA-EP35-DS3l board. Before the card, I was running ti headless/diskless using NotFreds folding CD, and the SMP client on that system pulled 90W. I popped in the card and booted up, installed the driver and with the GPU at stock speeds, total system (now with a HD, mouse/kb) pulled 101W at idle. Loaded up the GPU client only and while running the card full tilt, total system draw was 145W. Cranked the GPU up to 679 Core/1841 shaders and at full tilt folding, total system draw was 165W. When I added in a console client for the other CPU core, total full tilt system draw is 172W.
This is on an Enermax Liberty 500 PS (that barely meets the 80% list) but I'll be moving it to an Antec EA-430 later tonight, so will retest then to see if anything changes, but depending on what else you have in your system (this is a dedicated folder) I'm not even pulling 200 total watts, but it also depends on how much you 12v rail/s have. The EVGA specs on the card at their site "recommended" a 400w PS with 22A on the 12v for one card, and 400W with 24A for 2 cards SLI, so it appears there's some slack there.
Hope some of that info helps..... Ya know ya want one...:p:D

Anybody running multiple cards on a P35 board? Any idea whether OC both cards is going to be an issue like Sunin ran into?

0.png

/snip
System is an E4300 @ 3ghz on a GA-EP35-DS3l board. Before the card, I was running ti headless/diskless using NotFreds folding CD, and the SMP client on that system pulled 90W. I popped in the card and booted up, installed the driver and with the GPU at stock speeds, total system (now with a HD, mouse/kb) pulled 101W at idle. Loaded up the GPU client only and while running the card full tilt, total system draw was 145W. Cranked the GPU up to 679 Core/1841 shaders and at full tilt folding, total system draw was 165W. When I added in a console client for the other CPU core, total full tilt system
/snip
0.png

Thanks for the "heads up" BillR :D

:eek: nomad8u This is one informative post, it answered questions I hadn't even thought of yet :)
I have two E6600's that are only OC'ed to 3.0 GHz (there goes any being [H]ard aspirations I had), they're both folding with the notfred diskless/headless CD's. With a Kill-o-watt meter they draw a combined wattage of about 190w (I cheated a little and left the DVD drives in, nothing else though, the lowest reading is 185w and the highest reading is192w), but they only do about 2,000 ppd according to FAHmon. It seems to me with the increase to 145w and maybe close to 4,500 pernts it's well worth it, don't you think? :confused:

When you said something about OC'ing the card and drawing 165w, is the OC' extreme? (obviously you can tell I don't know "jack" about GPUs) The console thing you were referring to is the single core F@H client, right? (even at 172w that ain't bad). I think my 2x Q6600's, both OC'ed 3.0 GHz, both WC'ed, draw that much and at best, even using the taskset -c thing in Ubuntu 8.04, they only produce about 4,000 pernts and depending on the WU most of the time it's less.

Hey, if these are some of those "how dumb can this guy be" questions please just ignore them and I realize "you have to pay, to play" or something like that, so since even millionaires check prices, I guess my curiosity isn't that grave.

FOLD ON!

:eek: nomad8u This is one informative post, it answered questions I hadn't even thought of yet :)

heh..heh..damn that's pretty good... :p

jws2346 said:
I have two E6600's that are only OC'ed to 3.0 GHz (there goes any being [H]ard aspirations I had), they're both folding with the notfred diskless/headless CD's. With a Kill-o-watt meter they draw a combined wattage of about 190w (I cheated a little and left the DVD drives in, nothing else though, the lowest reading is 185w and the highest reading is192w),

Now I've got a question just to clarify. That 190W is BOTH E6600's together? My guess is you have the 2 boxen hooked to a power strip and the Kill-A-Watt in front of the power strip? That figures about the same as my E4300 at 3GHz and I consider that a nice easy going, easy to cool, sustainable OC. No slouch there. If you're going to be GPU folding, a crazy high OC isn't really necessary so some power can be saved there.... When this second 8800 comes in and I ditch the console client, I'm going to try and back my OC down to 2.6ish and see what happens.

jws2346 said:
but they only do about 2,000 ppd according to FAHmon. It seems to me with the increase to 145w and maybe close to 4,500 pernts it's well worth it, don't you think? :confused:
2000 PPD is right on the money with what I was getting with a notfred SMP client. Yeah...I think the additional 2500 pernts for an extra 50W is a definite win!

jws2346 said:
When you said something about OC'ing the card and drawing 165w, is the OC' extreme? (obviously you can tell I don't know "jack" about GPUs) The console thing you were referring to is the single core F@H client, right? (even at 172w that ain't bad). I think my 2x Q6600's, both OC'ed 3.0 GHz, both WC'ed, draw that much and at best, even using the taskset -c thing in Ubuntu 8.04, they only produce about 4,000 pernts and depending on the WU most of the time it's less.

I don't think the GPU OC is extreme. For reference, the stock settings on this 8800GTS are 650 Core/1625 Shader/ 972 Mem. The Shader clocks seem to be the most important followed by the core clocks. I've found on both my cards that a "little" additional Core without getting to high does give a small boost in pernts. Anyway, I'm currently running the 8800GTs at 679 Core/1841 Shader/ 972 Mem. At full tilt folding the GPU hasn't gone over 58c. I ran stock clock on the card for one full WU and @ stock it was turning 4550-4725 PPD. I got lucky and got the same WU for the second one so I paused it and ran the clock up to 679/1841/972 and it's been running all day at 5445-5565 PPD.
Yep.. I'm also running a "standard" single core client on the other core. Not many extra PPD, but combined the box is turning 5750 PPD. Not too shabby for a dual core E4300.

My other folding box and also my main rig is a Q6600 @3.1 with a 9600GT that I bought earlier this year. To compare this to an 88xx type card, the 9600GT pulls 3950 PPD with a healthy OC. (stock is 650c/1625s/900m and my OC is 650c/1850s/900m) It too runs about 56-58c at full load. I also run 2 notfred cd SMP clients in VM which kinda get dragged down. I lock the GPU to core 3 and both VM SMP clients to cores 0,1,2. They grab another 1540 PPD on one of them and 1850 on the other. Gives me a total of 7300-7400 PPD. I haven't hung the Kill-A-Watt on the quad yet but I'm guessing it'd pull around 250-275W. Not as efficient as the dual core rig but together just 2 boxen are gonna net me right at 13K PPD. Should easily bump up to 17K with this card Bill found.

Hopefully this didn't put ya to sleep too bad... and maybe even answered a question or two you were looking for.

0.png

Back