For then that don’t read, like me

BillR

Born Again Cynic
After switching to the new Linux client I noticed my points dropped, not good.

Finally I did some reading and in this newest Beta they made a few changes but I have no clue why.

If you install the new Linux SMP client as you always have you are as likely to get a regular work unit as you are an SMP work unit and it will run fine but points wise you take a serious hit.

The answer was simple after I read the read me. Although there is still some question whether running as a service is working right there is no question that in addition to the –forceasm flag you will also need the new –smp flag.

If you change flags in the middle of a standard work unit the machine will in all probability kick the unit and start over, but with a proper SMP unit.

We read, we learn, we share;)

i didn't know you needed the -forceasm flag on the Linux SMP, cause I thought the optimizations were always put on with the beta, even though the messages at the beginning might make you think they weren't. Thought I read that somewhere. I'm going to do it anyway now, just in case.

thanks!

i didn't know you needed the -forceasm flag on the Linux SMP, cause I thought the optimizations were always put on with the beta, even though the messages at the beginning might make you think they weren't. Thought I read that somewhere. I'm going to do it anyway now, just in case.

thanks!

You are half right actually. By default the client will always start with –forceasm unless you opt to turn it off.

The problem however is simple, if the client runs into trouble of any sort (especially those running as a service) it (the client) will automatically disable –forceasm to continue on. This will decrease your performance considerably.

By adding the –forcasm flag to the command line in all cases the client is unable to disable the setting and so I have always used it as a safety measure.

Think of it as wearing a belt and suspenders with your pants;)

So if I read that right you now need the -smp flag to get smp units?

If your running the Linux v6 client you need to use the ...........

-smp flag to get the SMP work units. ie ./fah6 -smp
-gpu flag to get the GPU work units. ie ./fah6 -gpu
No flag will get you the standard console work units. ie ./fah6

Easy.

Once Windoze goes to v6 client then it will probably follow suite.

Luck ............ :D

This one caught me off guard aswell, cost me about 2 days production before I noticed.

<snip>
Think of it as wearing a belt and suspenders with your pants;)

Boy now we're getting dressed up!
Do we put on socks too?

/edit
I just realized why this is happening - VJ heard I got my Quad, so he figures it's now the normal, not the special case :) and points will be leveled.

Do we put on socks too?

/edit
I just realized why this is happening - VJ heard I got my Quad, so he figures it's now the normal, not the special case :) and points will be leveled.

As more of us get quads and they become the norm so to speak you just might be right:(

I got lucky and read the readme when i switched my opty165 to ubuntu about 2 weeks ago.....unlike Bill who refuses to read anything unless its broke :p

Running ubuntu instead of windows gained me about 4 min/frame....which equals about 300 ppd increase!! Linux ftw :D

I got lucky and read the readme when i switched my opty165 to ubuntu about 2 weeks ago.....unlike Bill who refuses to read anything unless its broke :p

Running ubuntu instead of windows gained me about 4 min/frame....which equals about 300 ppd increase!! Linux ftw :D

Real men don't read instructions or ask directions. Man rule #1

Do we put on socks too?

/edit

Naww, not dressed up at all, I decided to go for a new look.

Wife Beater T-shirts and suspenders……….Ya gotta be an old guy to pull it off though;)

Back