For The Truly [H] - Motorola Droid @ 1GHz

After an 8 hour workday and moderate use, I was running about 70% free battery; about the same as at stock speed. The idle speed is only 125MHz on this kernel, so it sort of offesets the increase in max speed.

FWIW, i've heard the N1 tops out at 1.2-1.3GHz, same as the Droid. Makes sense, both chipsets use variants of the ARM Cortex A8.

does this void the warranty or is it easy to cover up your haxxoring if the worst happens?

Yeah, I saw this thread and was tempted to do that. I was just worried it would kill my battery life while I was using it. So does it run at 1GHz every time your display is on and your active? Can you tell a significant difference in opening and using apps?

I'm not sure if I want to root my phone to do it either. I would like to get the OTA update for 2.1 as soon as it rolls out instead of waiting for someone to post it online to download and install it manually.

Last edited:
For anyone trying to decide whether or not to do this overclock, I highly suggest reading up on rooting your phone, as well as unrooting it and returning to stock.

Remember, the number one rule in the rooting community: if you need to ask a) what is rooting; b) should I root; or c) why do I want to root?, then rooting is not for you.

As for performance, biggest benefit seems to be quicker bootup time, and apps seem to open quicker. Don't expect any miracles with 3D games though, the GPU seems to be running full steam even with the processor at 550MHz.

Kinda playing safe right now running 800mhz
loving it man it flies might go 1ghz later but
Hard to justify when the speeds I'm seeing
Now are plenty fast enough.

I also got my Droid to 800mhz. It is running great no noticeable battery drain or heat issues. I use SetCpu to under-clock the phone while it sleeps or charges so I assume it offsets the overclock.

As for performance, biggest benefit seems to be quicker bootup time, and apps seem to open quicker. Don't expect any miracles with 3D games though, the GPU seems to be running full steam even with the processor at 550MHz.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I just got a droid yesterday...speed dicking around in the OS seems fine but I could always go for better 3D performance. If an OC isn't going to help though, I may just wait til its out of warranty. I remember that overclocking the PSP provided a huge framerate boost in some games.

That Armadillo game is something else. Upon first loading up some demos of 3D games I thought the Droid was like a souped up N64. Now I'm not sure...that game using dynamic lighting and what looked like bumpmapping in parts...clearly out of the N64's realm, especially given the resolution. Now I'm curious about if it's more powerful than a PSP and most games look crappy because they are only a few megs and the devs are lazy.

Remember, the number one rule in the rooting community: if you need to ask a) what is rooting; b) should I root; or c) why do I want to root?, then rooting is not for you.

So you were born knowing what rooting a phone meant?

Saw that the other day, Interesting stuff. My biggest concern will be the extra heat under load. The battery itself can get pretty hot on some phones, then add the extra heat from the OC'd CPU.

Cool stuff though.

I just rooted mine just to do this (for the most part) and I want to make a backup with Nandroid before I potentially brick my phone. But all threads I find that explain how to use nandroid to back up your phone are confusing as balls to me. Can anyone find a guide to use this software to backup my phone?

Thanks!

Edit: Lol, nm, just found this right after I bumped this thread :s. Sorry for the n00bish Q.

Last edited:
How long have we been able to overclock mobile cpus? ive just started seeing it and was wondering how far it goes back.

How long have we been able to overclock mobile cpus? ive just started seeing it and was wondering how far it goes back.

Pretty much since the beginning. I know people were overclocking their Palms, iPAQs, Axims, and stuff at least back to '03 or so.

Got my Droid running at 900 MHz now. I didn't want to risk instability and over heating at 1GHz and figured 900 MHz would be good enough. But it literally doesn't get warm at all at 900 MHz which is surprising. And battery life doesn't seem affected so far. It's definitely noticable when scrolling through image-heavy pages and through my apps menu where it would skip a little bit. I downloaded SetCPU in the market to underclock it to 125 MHz while in standby/idle to offset the possibly heavier load while I'm using it. I actually seem to be getting better battery life now too since I've been using it sporatically all day and sttill have 70% life left since 4:30 AM when it left the charger.

If this keeps up, I guess I won't want a Nexus 1 when it comes to Verizon in a couple months. I already have all the 2.1 OS apps (new Gallery, clock and news widget) too to hold me over until it's actually out for Droid. Can't wait for flash 10 to come out now! This should help out a lot with flash games and stuff.

Droid does, eh? :D. Best phone/carrier combo EVAR!

Last edited:
So you were born knowing what rooting a phone meant?

No, I meant that one should do enough research so these questions are no longer in your mind, before proceeding with the rooting process. Do not go into it blindly, it's easier to mess up than something like iPhone jailbreaking, as there are steps that require manual use of the Linux command line.

EDIT: And for the purpose of the thread, i've now been running for 3 days at 1.1GHz with no stability issues.

Can you comment on the browsing? This was my biggest grip with the phone. There is a lot of LAG. Espeically on graphic heavy websites such as espn.com (non mobile version).

Back