For same file size of WMV vs. MP4, is there a video quality difference?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
Say I have a 1 GB video file in wmv, and the same file is in MP4, is there a difference is video quality?

Also, say the same file is now 1.2GB in WMV format, but only 1 GB in MP4 format, should the 1.2GB WMV be at a higher quality than the 1 GB, MP4 format of the same file? Because I'm viewing them side by side, and I can't tell a difference.

it's the exact same file from the same co., so I would imagine they use the same encoding settings.

it's the exact same file from the same co., so I would imagine they use the same encoding settings.
This isn't ordinarily possible. The WMV may have a higher bit rate, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has higher quality than the video contained in the MP4.

I would choose the MP4 given that there's a fairly high chance that it contains H.264 video that can be decoded by a wide range of decoders and because MP4 containers themselves are somewhat easier to manipulate (via a very decent range of tools). As a for instance, it's incredibly easy to demux the video and audio streams from the MP4 and then mux them into an MKV container, which you might find advantageous.

Given that you said you can't tell the difference, I would suggest that the MP4 is the one you'll likely want to keep (or choose) assuming you don't particularly need the WMV for some reason.

That is what I'm leaning on, because I don't want to waste Blu-Ray storage space for the same file, just a different format. Thanks

Back