For PC Shipments, the Slump Is Back

after they grow up and stop playing computer games to live an adult life
So PC gaming you "grow out of", but console gaming is forever. Got it.

I think that "currently connected" is a much more accurate measurement to compare to "currently connected" consoles,
Sure. I just showed you that a minimum of 36 million people log on to play PC games every day. Hell, add world of tanks for 37 million. You have provided no numbers at all for how many people are playing on consoles every day, yet keep saying your number is bigger. Stuff like this is why other people on this forum will accuse you of trolling. Seriously, provide EVIDENCE of what you're saying is true, or we're pretty much done here.

though that is a bit unfair to the consoles since they're more useful without an Internet connection and a lot of them are used for purely offline play.
Not for the newest generation. You buy a game at a store, you have to connect online to get it started. Also I'm surprised you're making the statement that consoles are "more useful without an internet connection" than a PC at Hardocp of all places. Something tells me the people here could find many uses for an offline PC.

Even so, the field is still tilted heavily in favor of consoles being a more popular and common platform for gaming UNLESS you start counting casual types of games like Candy Crush and other stuff that [H] forum residents tend to get weirdly offended about.
You're talking like it's 2007 or 2008, seriously. Either that or you're only paying attention to the USA and not the globe.

costs too much for most people to buy with competitive hardware (that's that 6+ years thing I mentioned before).
This is about the only thing you're saying here that I agree with. I think 6 years might be overly conservative, but you're correct in that you can't get the same performance of the consoles for the same money at this point in time. However, that goes back to my earlier point that PC gaming is so huge because there are games at every tier. You don't need console-performance to play League of Legends, Path of Exile, Hearthstone, etc. and there's a whole hell of a lot of people who play those kinds of games.

That's the only segment of the market that matters.
Again, many exciting things have been happening in the gaming industry since 2008.

UNLESS you count causal gaming which puts stuff like Angry Birds and Candy Crush on phones at the very top of the "copies sold" list which still puts PC gaming on the bottom-feeder rung of the entertainment ladder.
AND you ignore ALL the indie games out on the market combined. I think you severely underestimate how large the presence is in full and the effect it's having on the industry. You're looking at an elephant and I'm looking at the entire combined mass of a field full of insects. But again, this debate feels very familiar, it's the exact same logic of how PC gaming was dying because its retail presence was shrinking.

So PC gaming you "grow out of", but console gaming is forever. Got it.

Sure. I just showed you that a minimum of 36 million people log on to play PC games every day. Hell, add world of tanks for 37 million. You have provided no numbers at all for how many people are playing on consoles every day, yet keep saying your number is bigger. Stuff like this is why other people on this forum will accuse you of trolling. Seriously, provide EVIDENCE of what you're saying is true, or we're pretty much done here.

Not for the newest generation. You buy a game at a store, you have to connect online to get it started. Also I'm surprised you're making the statement that consoles are "more useful without an internet connection" than a PC at Hardocp of all places. Something tells me the people here could find many uses for an offline PC.

You're talking like it's 2007 or 2008, seriously. Either that or you're only paying attention to the USA and not the globe.

This is about the only thing you're saying here that I agree with. I think 6 years might be overly conservative, but you're correct in that you can't get the same performance of the consoles for the same money at this point in time. However, that goes back to my earlier point that PC gaming is so huge because there are games at every tier. You don't need console-performance to play League of Legends, Path of Exile, Hearthstone, etc. and there's a whole hell of a lot of people who play those kinds of games.

Again, many exciting things have been happening in the gaming industry since 2008.

AND you ignore ALL the indie games out on the market combined. I think you severely underestimate how large the presence is in full and the effect it's having on the industry. You're looking at an elephant and I'm looking at the entire combined mass of a field full of insects. But again, this debate feels very familiar, it's the exact same logic of how PC gaming was dying because its retail presence was shrinking.

Kids play console games too and kids get hush money for games from their parents so yeah, I'm not saying console gaming is any more or less adult.

36 million people is like nothing of the 7+ billion people on the planet so that number isn't impressive at all. What's World of Tanks, by the way?

Why does the forum in which a fact is posted have any bearing on the fact itself? You're straying away from the point to argue about silly stuff just like the age groups and maturity of kids who play this stuff.

Candy Crush came out in 2012. :( I'm not at all talking about 2008. That was so last decade and the world's moved on since then and as I pointed out already, 36 million is small compared to the global population so I think that you're not being very global either as, if you look globally, you'll see that phones are the most popular entertainment devices on the market today (which is also true of the US and pretty much any other nation where there's electricity and stuff).

I don't know what games you're talking about, but I doubt they make a lot of money compared to whatever EA or Origin released recently or even compare to Angry Birds for total sales revenue.

I'm ignoring the indie market because it's pretty much just a cash grab Kickstarter thing. If those were good ideas, an EA or Ubisoft would have made them already and sold a best-selling title. It's all just niche stuff that's being used on a PC which is a niche entertainment platform.

36 million people is like nothing of the 7+ billion people on the planet so that number isn't impressive at all.

Candy Crush came out in 2012. :( I'm not at all talking about 2008. That was so last decade and the world's moved on since then and as I pointed out already, 36 million is small compared to the global population so I think that you're not being very global either as, if you look globally, you'll see that phones are the most popular entertainment devices on the market today (which is also true of the US and pretty much any other nation where there's electricity and stuff).

I don't know what games you're talking about, but I doubt they make a lot of money compared to whatever EA or Origin released recently or even compare to Angry Birds for total sales revenue.
Alright I fell for the bait, since you're not giving any statistics aside from the world population, so this is my last post on this thread unless you back up what you're saying with actual data. I'll just leave with this information:

1. I'm saying there's a minimum of 36 million people playing PC games every day, the reality is much larger than that. You said that this pales compared to consoles, yet do not provide any information. This right here is what makes your argument disingenuous. You say that the number of concurrent players is the most important thing, so I give you a minimum number. Then you say that's nothing and STILL do not give a number for consoles. So the argument is 36 million minimum players every day, likely significantly larger v. no data provided by you on concurrent players on consoles. Therefore, consoles are obviously the winner. This right here comes across as trolling.

2. The number of actual PC gamers is much, much larger than 36 million. It was closer to 700 million earlier this year:
http://www.pcgamer.com/there-are-711-million-pc-gamers-in-the-world-today-says-intel/
So that's 1 in 10 people on the planet. Now a lot of this IS from the casual candy crush type games. However, they made an earlier projection back in 2009 also:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/03/03/just-how-many-pc-gamers-are-there
Assuming percentages hold, what you can extrapolate from that is that there are about
250 - 375 million "real" PC gamers worldwide, playing non-casual stuff. The reason you keep calling this small potatoes compared to consoles is beyond me. I'm probably just falling for troll bait.

3. At no point was I trying to compare this to mobile gaming. I know that's enormous. I was refuting the claim you said that CONSOLE gaming is far bigger than PC gaming.

4. When you add all the niche content up, it gets pretty enormous. It's called the "long tail", it's the concept that's made Google, Amazon, and Steam as successful as they are today.

You don't have to be threatening about leaving a conversation. It's not like arguing about what's obvious to most of the world outside of the limited crowd of PC gamers that have an inferiority complex who make up for it by pretending to be the master race is gonna change the economic realities of the situation or how businesses operate aaaand no one is forcing you to stay so if you wanna run off and hide after making it clear that you haven't got anything to support your contention, then go for it. I'm just some words words words on your screenies anyhow.

Back