• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

For max performance, what order should uyou install things?

mtbaird

Gawd
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Messages
677
im talking about chipset drivers and windows update and stuff


whats the right order?
 
It shouldn't make any difference in what order you install the drivers. I would suggest doing the Motherboard drivers first because if you WU first, you could get micro$ofts version of a driver:(

Other than that, as long as you install them all eventually, it shouldnt make any difference whatsoever.
 
Originally posted by OneMadPoptart
It shouldn't make any difference in what order you install the drivers. I would suggest doing the Motherboard drivers first because if you WU first, you could get micro$ofts version of a driver:(

Other than that, as long as you install them all eventually, it shouldnt make any difference whatsoever.

Believe me it do matter.

First your op system. Then before anything else windows service pack 1.

Then you can install your chipset drivers.

Then dx 9 and all critical updates.

Then video card/sound card drivers

Then everything else.
 
Why does it matter so much? I know Windows has to be installed and updated with SP1. Why in the world would it matter performance wise? It doesnt add up to install things in an order as long as they are all installed.
 
Originally posted by OneMadPoptart
Why does it matter so much? I know Windows has to be installed and updated with SP1. Why in the world would it matter performance wise? It doesnt add up to install things in an order as long as they are all installed.

Since if you install it in the wrong order files can be overwritten and you end up with older files in reality.
 
I'd doubt it make a difference on how you install things, I guess it matters what you install whether it runs in the background while working or not.
 
I do:

Windows XP w/ SP1
Windows Update All Critical Updates
Chipset Drivers
Firewall
Direct X
Video Card Drivers

Rebooting between everything
 
I have to agree with oqvist and EnderW, since I do things that way automatically. It just seems the logical way to do things, not only that, but it affects the driver placement on the hard drive no?

I always install drivers in the order that I think they will be loaded in a typical windows boot.

With an exception or two to that rule, here's my current install:

RAID drivers (Before XP installation)
Modem drivers
ZoneAlarm Pro (gotta be protected, or if you get hax0r3d, you might as well reinstall again)
XP SP1a
DirectX 9b
Critical Updates
NForce drivers
ATI Cats 4.1
Soundblaster CDROM & Web update
TV Card
Scanner
Digital Camera
 
I feel old. Haven't formatted in over a year so I don't have an install order. Firewall would be first after windows though, before any updates of any sort.
 
Yeah, it's best if you can save all the installers on a secondary hard drive or cd, then you don't have to plug in your cat 5 cable until you've got everything ready to go.
 
Back
Top