For College: Laptop or Desktop hmm

Kirkov

n00b
I sold my main rig in december 2003 and i'm not on a POS Celeron 600mhz w/ 15" inch screen :eek:

My plan was to wait until june-july to build a new computer.
about 2500-3000$CDN

I'm wondering if I should get a laptop , I won't have really much free time to play games anyways

If you won't be playing any games, then get a laptop.

If you'll be playing a few games, especially new games, then depending on how deep your pockets are, you may want a high-end laptop or a desktop (altho your college may require a laptop, so who knows). Simple as that.

It highly depends on your courses as well. Some require a lot of note taking where a laptop is more useful. Others might not.

Laptops are extremely pricy so make sure that you definately require it for your courses.

I would go for a laptop. Even if you're gonna be playing games every once in a while, you'll like having the portability of a laptop. I built my desktop and have been kicking myself since then.

I'd rather have a desktop, but I don't care about portability because if you bring a laptop to class, there's a nearly 100 percent chance you're NOT going to be taking notes with it.

Of course, I only live an hour from home, so it's not too much of a hassle to lug a 19 inch CRT and two desktops home.

I'd say go for a laptop, just because I think most college students want desk space. :)

Laptops are not good for taking notes(at least not in most classes). It is a lot harder to do diagrams and formulas and anything but strict text. Though a lot of times I wish I had a laptop up here(in addition to my desktop, of course). Laptops are a hell of a lot easier to take home with you for the weekend or whatever. You can take it over to the library to work or take it out to the quad and surf the internet over the wireless network. And when you are not using it you can close it and put it up on the shelf or something. My entire desktop is taken up by my two monitors and my keyboard and mouse, so no work gets done here. So if you are not the kind of person who upgrades or changes hardware often, then laptops are definately great for college.

a shuttle, easy to move back and forth plus the power and upgradablity of a desktop.

I'm gonna be building myself a desktop, and carrying around a 512MB or more USB key everywhere around with me.

if you even enjoy fragging a little bit here and there, dont buy a low end laptop. you can get a centrino with a 9700 Pro for around $1500-1600 and you'll have your 4 hours of battery life for note taking, and all for the price of a higher end desktop.

I built a desktop and decided I wouldn't use a Laptop... I was right. I write faster for taking notes, and I can still get my frag on. Desktop all the way.

Another Vote for desktop... and for notes why not get a PDA and one of those foldup keyboards for the pda...

I bet you could build a decent desktop for all your recreational activities and still have enough left over to buy a decent laptop for note taking, after all, it doesn need to be fast if youre just typing on it.

Pen/pencil and paper is still the best for taking notes, IMO. Typing is ok for some classes, but trying writing down physics or chemistry notes on a computer.....not cool. I brought my desktop down to school, never regretted it.

Another factor, you don't have to worry as much about some clown walking away with your desktop.

I have both a Desktop and a Laptop for college... and if i could only choose one i would go with the laptop.. many of my courses require you to have a laptop.. and for some classes it's just very convenient and highly recommended to have a laptop.

It also depends on what you're going to study. For example I'm sure for engineering a laptop is needed (which is what i'm studying). And maybe for some other majors you don't really need one.

And i don't use the laptop for note taking.. i think pencil and paper is way way way better.. i use the laptop for my digital logic lab, and i will have to use it for a microprocessors lab i'm gonna take.. blah blah blah.. i use it for labs, and when i study on campus and i need a computer to do circuit simulations.

so trust me.. you don't need one if all you plan to do is take notes.

i had a desktop first.. then got the laptop because of the requierment in my major..

Originally posted by Gibo
Pen/pencil and paper is still the best for taking notes, IMO.
true.

A laptop might be good if you're in CSE or something, but for most classes it's not worth it.

My father bought me an x1000 for class last semester and I ended up playing Max Payne 2 every day in Philosophy. It did get me extra credit for taking notes for the professor in Macroeconomics though.

Back