For basic cable, go DLP, LCD, or Plasma?

starrwsn

Weaksauce
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
69
I was about to buy an LCD for my comp, but I keep hearing that cable sucks on lcds. I don't know if this is true or if DLP or Plasma will show better. Any experience or observations would be appreciated. Also I will be using this for my comp, but regular tv quality for basic cable will be important. Thanks

-Will
 
Will basic cable on my 32in flat screen 4:3 look the same as on any of these other monitors?
 
starrwsn said:
Will basic cable on my 32in flat screen 4:3 look the same as on any of these other monitors?
no, it will look terriable.

the only thing that looks good on my 32 HDTV LCD are DVD's from my computer.. or true HD content.

The rest looks grainey (IE, regular cable)
 
cyr0n_k0r said:
no, it will look terriable.

the only thing that looks good on my 32 HDTV LCD are DVD's from my computer.. or true HD content.

The rest looks grainey (IE, regular cable)
what about dlp or plasma?
 
Booger said:
CRT. It's still the best for low-res.
Ah. Thats not what I wanted to hear. Just hooking up my comp to a big screen doesn't justify buying one. I need cable too.
 
cyr0n_k0r said:
no, it will look terriable.

the only thing that looks good on my 32 HDTV LCD are DVD's from my computer.. or true HD content.

The rest looks grainey (IE, regular cable)
btw, how are dvd's from a dvd player?
 
DVD should look fine on those monitors on progressive component output. Video or S-video still look pretty garbage though. As my experience, on those big digital monitors based on whatever technologies, digital source (incl. digital cable) should look good via compoment, VGA or DVI/HDMI, analog source (i.e. cable) will look garbage most of time. The best solution for TV on big monitor is to pay several bucks more to get digital cable (not neccessarily HD, even SD looks much better than TV via RF).
 
yeah, digital prob isn't more than 15 a month. Maybe its only 10 a month. I gotta check with my isp.
 
spawn447 said:
42" panasonic ED plasma, have the best of both worlds :D
Unless you are extremely sensitive to sde at your normal viewing distances like I am :(. But it is true that for dvd and sd the ed plasmas do look the best (and probably 80-90% as good as the 42" hd plasmas on hd material from normal viewing distances if you can't see the sde or it doesn't bother you).
 
starrwsn said:
btw, how are dvd's from a dvd player?
DVD's from both a DVD player AND ISO's mounted from the computer look "ok"

When I had a CRT TV they looked better than anything on TV. But now with the HDTV LCD it seems the TV is actually nicer than the DVD as I am actually able to see the imperfections in the DVD image.

The only time I am blown away by the quality is actually watching true HD content either from cable or downloaded.

As far as quality goes I would have to say it goes in this order

Cable TV (grainey)
DVD's (better image but to the trained eye can still pick out trouble shots. especially on close up's of actors faces)
HD (amazing)
 
Back
Top