For $350.00, what tablet could I get that will do more than just read books?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have the Pandigital 9" ereader now. It does great for books, etc. But for much else, it sucks.

Is there something out there that would act more like an actual tablet and could be purchased for 350 or less?

You can root the NOOKcolor for the "full Android experience", more or less.

I was looking at the Archos tablets. I could go 400 if they were in my price range and ran well..

Archos 101, 10.1", Android 2.2 (I think they pushed that update finally), $299. Quite a capable device... or the Archos 70, 7", same basic specs just a smaller screen (lower resolution as well), about $279 iirc.

As for "actual tablet" you'd have to specify what YOU think such a device is and can do.

I've seen iPads on craigslist for $400. Save up $50 and get a used one?

Archos 101, 10.1", Android 2.2 (I think they pushed that update finally), $299. Quite a capable device... or the Archos 70, 7", same basic specs just a smaller screen (lower resolution as well), about $279 iirc.

As for "actual tablet" you'd have to specify what YOU think such a device is and can do.

That is a good point. I guess I would like it to be able to play some of my tv shows that I rip to my PC. Maybe some youtube, and maybe even a few games that you can normally get for android, but my current one wont run them.

Then my suggestion stands for the Archos 70 or 101. In terms of multimedia capabilities, there's nothing out there that can handle all the potential formats those devices can right out of the box.

Then my suggestion stands for the Archos 70 or 101. In terms of multimedia capabilities, there's nothing out there that can handle all the potential formats those devices can right out of the box.

I was thinking that too.

Ill try to figure out where to actually buy one now. Laugh

So, these iPad things... are they supposed to be tablets or something? :D

Perhaps you people suggesting an iPad missed this part:

That is a good point. I guess I would like it to be able to play some of my tv shows that I rip to my PC. Maybe some youtube, and maybe even a few games that you can normally get for android, but my current one wont run them.

Seems to want an Android-powered device to me...

And if the Archos 70 or 101 aren't going to cut it, then the NOOKColor would be my next choice, although it's more limited in terms of multimedia functionality than an Archos device is. The NOOKColor, once rooted, effectively becomes a full blown Android tablet but it still does have some limitations (no cameras, no USB capability, etc etc). It does have one truly kick ass IPS LCD panel in it, however.

So, these iPad things... are they supposed to be tablets or something? :D

Perhaps you people suggesting an iPad missed this part:

And if the Archos 70 or 101 aren't going to cut it, then the NOOKColor would be my next choice, although it's more limited in terms of multimedia functionality than an Archos device is. The NOOKColor, once rooted, effectively becomes a full blown Android tablet but it still does have some limitations (no cameras, no USB capability, etc etc). It does have one truly kick ass IPS LCD panel in it, however.

I think my heart is set on the Archos 101. I just cant seem to find any. None on the manufacturer webpage. Very few on ebay, and none on amazon...Sigh

I would say it depends on what games he's referring to. If the games he normally plays on Android are also available for iOS, then an iPad may be suitable (if one could be acquired for less than $350, which is fairly doubtful).

Save your money until it hits the iPad's base price, then get the second-gen iPad. :p

An Ipad would be ok, I think.

My biggest issue with them are the fact that I don't want to deal with I tunes.

I really just want to Plug it in, and drag my data too it. I am really just not wanting one for that reason..

I wouldn't recommend an archos tablet. They're not really known for their support and they didn't exactly get amazing reviews. If you do get one, get the 7", since it seems to have slightly less negative reviews (the screen on the 10.1 is pretty much horrendous).

But at the moment they're really all that's out and doesn't require any effort on your part.

The Nook Color is essentially a 7" archos table without the storage capacity (about 5gb usable on the Nook). It's also got a nicer screen, but it has literally no official support by the manufacter as an android tablet.

I'd wait a month or two for some decent tegra 2 based android tablets to start coming out, if you can.

Those tegra2 tablets will likely be well over his target price range. NC is a good option if you don't mind rooting as the screen is MUCH nicer than the Archos tablets. It's also the cheapest option. Keep in mind you won't have cameras, GPS or working BT (though this is apparently coming). Rooting requires a microSD card, but you can then use it for storage anyway. Or, if you don't want to root, you can run android 2.2 right from the SD card. I highly recommend the NC if you're comfortable with the limitations - but lack of support and/or rooting shouldn't be much of a concern to someone on [H], right?

good luck on finding an Archos 101 anywhere and then finding it for $299.00 would be amazing. I have looked and could never find them.

etch_a_sketch.jpg

I kid, I kid.

Up your budget 50 bucks and grab a G Tablet.

Agree with the G tab. I had it for a week. A fairly active group of dev's work on this device. Although the Nook color has been getting a lot of honeycomb love lately too. I think it's all up to you can't go wrong with either.

g tab just got a gingerbread port or so I read - right now 379 at office depot, I don't think u can beat that.

Back