Follow Up questions to HTPC

hongsc

Limp Gawd
I got the Syntax Olevia 27" LCD TV and using with Charter cable at the moment picture quality is okay not bad but not spectacular either. The colors look a little washed but so did the 42" plasma Samsung panel I hooked up through component. The Syntax looked beautiful with the OTA HDTV tuner from Radio Shack too bad no QAM. I had some questions I can get the 32" for a little over $300 more is it worth it? I'm buying a HDMI to DVI, RCA, Optical Toslink, and component from monoprice to use with the TV and HT components. Is 6 ft plenty or should I get longer ones? I listened to the Micras and they sound okay but I feel I can get something better for the money maybe. Are the Micras considered substantial for HT use in a 1 bdr apartment or should I get something like the Polk speakers RS15 for now and upgrade later if need be? Is it worth it to get 5.1 or can I get away with 2.1 and combo it with Dayton 12" for DVD movies and divx TV episodes? Also anyone recommend a cheap place to get speaker stands? I fear the move with all this heavy stuff again because of the rush move and neighbors complaining. I blasted the MX5021 and got a couple of bangs already. I can only imagine a HT setup.

P.S. The receiver would be the HK AVR 235 unless someone can recommend something better.

most of the stuff you asked about is personal preference. I say tat the extra size is worth the $$, 6ft should be plenty, I would start with a good 5.1 receiver and the 2.1 speaker setup and expand later, walmart has some inespensive speaker stands.

I think I got all the questions.

IDversusEGO said:
most of the stuff you asked about is personal preference. I say tat the extra size is worth the $$, 6ft should be plenty, I would start with a good 5.1 receiver and the 2.1 speaker setup and expand later, walmart has some inespensive speaker stands.

Ya, personal preference but a good topic non-the less :p, so let me jump in with some thoughts, ideas, and good ole threadjacking (as always!).

OP, i'f you purchase your audio in increments then i'll advise you get higher quality than the R15's, or get the R15's anyway and eventually delegate them as rears in a 5.1 setup. The 12" Dayton sub is supposedly a good budget choice so you ought to be fine there. Normally i would support the idea of listening to the speakers before purchasing them but i realize that isn't always possible.

As for audio and video cables: when purchasing cables of questionable quality try to keep the lengths as short as possible. Cable length is as important as cable quality imho so be on the safe side. Monoprice.com seems to carry a crappy and decent version of every cable so be aware...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh yea, a heads up to all including the OP. AV123 is now accepting pre-orders over the phone for their new speaker line-up: the Onix X-series. The The Onix X-LS bookshelfs will cost $199 a pair. I plan on eventually getting a pair or two then mating them with my denon receiver or maybe mating a pair with their X-Empower digital amp ($99). I believe the X-amplifiers are also available for pre-order. These products will be released by this november/december at the latest barring unforseen hold-ups.

good stuff ey?

IDversusEGO said:

Thanks for the advice and where to buy the speaker stands.

SJetski71 said:
Oh yea, a heads up to all including the OP. AV123 is now accepting pre-orders over the phone for their new speaker line-up: the Onix X-series. The The Onix X-LS bookshelfs will cost $199 a pair. I plan on eventually getting a pair or two then mating them with my denon receiver or maybe mating a pair with their X-Empower digital amp ($99). I believe the X-amplifiers are also available for pre-order. These products will be released by this november/december at the latest barring unforseen hold-ups.

good stuff ey?

Thaks! So the speakers linked are better than the RS15? How about to these http://www.electronics-expo.com/product.jsp?x=PRIMUS150 ?About the amp wouldn't an Onkyo or HK be better? Which cables are good from monoprice because they all look the same to me?

primus are pretty devent, but still considered low end. I had a set in my home. decent highs, a bit sharp. no real bass to speak of. you will need a sub for sure.

IDversusEGO said:
primus are pretty devent, but still considered low end. I had a set in my home. decent highs, a bit sharp. no real bass to speak of. you will need a sub for sure.

I'm going for the Dayton 12" sub. I'm still not sure about the speakers and receiver though.

check out the athena brand speakers. I auditioned several sets in my home and these were my favorites in that price range

hongsc said:
Thaks! So the speakers linked are better than the RS15? How about to these http://www.electronics-expo.com/product.jsp?x=PRIMUS150 ?About the amp wouldn't an Onkyo or HK be better? Which cables are good from monoprice because they all look the same to me?
Though i haven't listened to them i bet they sound better than the R15's and 150's though the Athena's ID mentioned get good reviews too. (remember i'm just giving opinion's and ideas, i'm not preaching fact!). AV123 is considered a price/category leader, meaning they're considered to have great speakers at their respective pricepoints. Do a search on their speakers online and you'll see tons of glowing feedback. I realize that speaker quality can be quite subjective but i've yet to read about any "major" complaints with AV123's speakers. They allow returns unquestioned if you aren't satisfied. Can't wait till i get mine :)

That X-empower amp would be good for 2.0 or 2.1 setups but for everything else you'd need a receiver. Onkyo/Denon/Marantz/HK/Yamaha all make good receivers, and unlike in the computer world, refurbished units come highly recommended for those on a budget.

SJetski71 said:
Though i haven't listened to them i bet they sound better than the R15's and 150's though the Athena's ID mentioned get good reviews too. (remember i'm just giving opinion's and ideas, i'm not preaching fact!). AV123 is considered a price/category leader, meaning they're considered to have great speakers at their respective pricepoints. Do a search on their speakers online and you'll see tons of glowing feedback. I realize that speaker quality can be quite subjective but i've yet to read about any "major" complaints with AV123's speakers. They allow returns unquestioned if you aren't satisfied. Can't wait till i get mine :)

That X-empower amp would be good for 2.0 or 2.1 setups but for everything else you'd need a receiver. Onkyo/Denon/Marantz/HK/Yamaha all make good receivers, and unlike in the computer world, refurbished units come highly recommended for those on a budget.

Good point I'll look at more reviews for the speakers you recommended and the Athena. I'm planning on adding more speakers when I move into a two bedroom next year.

Back