Foldit Gamers Solve Structure of a HIV Protein

YAY! I posted this on IRC (wrong place) this morning. It does sound interesting and much more interactive than FAH.

http://fold.it/

Last edited:
I posted this in IRC yesterday. I saw it on reddit. I will definitely play around with it when I get my gaming computer online.

The players are the processing power. I really think that is also a great use of resources. It doesnt appear to take a powerful computer to run it. You are essentially folding protiens on your brain core lol. This also opens up the possibility of randomly finding the answers which could skip a lot of work... Since a computer has to run a bunch of calculations to create the results while a person could accidentally create the correct answer the first try. Even if its not random you still have to take into the account that the human brain is an excellent processor, and could make quick work of some problems that are not mathematically intensive.

I'm going to look into this more when I get home from work..... still a bit confused about how it all works.

Just glancing through it doesn't look automated... You have to interact with the puzzle games. I don't see how I can run this unless the game can play itself in the background. :)

I had tried this a number of months ago when I was also letting my CPU do work for Rossetta. It's a complicated puzzle game which basically relies on human reasoning & intuition to get results faster instead of a computer systematically going through every possible combination like F@H. Even Rossetta does not go through every combination and does assume some combinations it has learned.

Which is better I do not know, but if you like puzzles, this is arguably the ultimate game for you! (arguably because some claim Forex is ;) )

Back