Folding Workstation Ideas

Core32

[H]ard|Gawd
I am in the process of phasing out my old Dell workstations at home.
They both presently have GPUs doing all the folding because PPD on their dual CPUs was pitiful and negatively impacted the GPU PPD more than it added.
This new rig will be used 95% for folding but I need serious CPU processing power for CAD applications during the 5% I use it for work. The applications are not graphics intensive.
I'm looking for CPU and MB ideas only, would prefer a dual Intel setup, that will still allow me to OC for better folding.
I don't have a budget in mind so all options are open until I get an idea of how ridiculous this can get :eek:.

I'm guessing that your programs are multi thread enabled.

Also.... for a dual OCed intel option... SR-2 is still the only option.

Dual 2011 system gives a good ppd/w as long as you don't go for the higher TDP chips and stick with 8 core chips with HT. Problem is these chips are not even close to cheap.

As it seems to fall every time we talk about anything with more than one CPU and IF cost is a consern. G34 4P will let you OC and have all the multi thread CPU power you could want (for now).

A dual G34 with 8 or 12 core chips would be a decent choice. If you need Windows, you won't need a server version. Overclocking is out (for the moment), but you still should see some nice processing power with 16 or 24 physical cores.

Yeh, for a windows workstation running multi thread apps, muskys sug of a dual g34 makes it simple and on the lower end of a budget.

I will need to run some form of Windoze for my applications but I might consider just swapping out boot SSDs, one Ubuntu 10.10 and one Win, when needed.
Well, as you can see from my signature, I have some experience with G34 MBs :)
I do want to keep those as dedicated folders but suppose I could add a 2P G34 for my workstation needs.
I did see a thread recently about some "idea" of a possible OC BIOS for a 2P I believe. :cool:

If I back down from having a dual CPU rig, are any of the newer high-end Sandies or Ivies OC-able?

I would suggest an SR-2, to allow for the OC you want. I personally run a SR-2

It will always bring the sexy, load it up with 24+ GB ram, and you are fine for CAD work

I would suggest an SR-2, to allow for the OC you want. I personally run a SR-2
That's an option as well. And you are using L5639? Are L5640s also compatible and OC-able?
I think the SR-2 can be found used occasionally as well.

Last edited:
That's an option as well. And you are using L5639? Are L5640s also compatible and OC-able?
I think the SR-2 can be found used occasionally as well.

Either will work. There are also faster (and more power hungry) Xeons that will work too.

I would almost figure the best bet would be to put up a WTB thread for a whole SR-2 system (or just mobo/chips/RAM). Prolly grab a nice deal and help someone with their upgrade plans.

You said no budget, soooo get some X5690's :D

My chips are L5639, however I currently have 2x E5645 (i think) on loan that are running in the board currently

I vote you just build another 4P rig for your workstation! :p

I'll even elaborate on how to make it work....

Use one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10105&cs_id=1010504&p_id=4064&seq=1&format=2

Or the HDMI version

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8121&seq=1&format=2

Then one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030313&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

Then just install Ubuntu with Xen for your Windows VM. You should be able to passthrough a GPU so you'll still have plenty of GPU power and you can limit the amount of resources to the VM so it doesn't doesn't get overwhelmed. (I can't seem to find info on how many cores you can pass to 1 VM...) You might not even need to passthrough a GPU if it works well enough for basic drawing tasks. The advantage to that setup would be you can leave the box folding all of the time without having to reboot.

You could also maybe look at Server 2012 running HyperV and remoteFX. Then you can have an old box as the client, and use the server's resources for computing. You would probably want to see how well the new v7 client works for folding though.

Last edited:
There are cheap lga2011 xeons on fleabay, they are just of a spicier variety than retail chips. Have seen 2650,2665 and 2680's.

All excellent information!
I have a bit to mull over now but keep it coming if you see a better alternative.
Thanks!

I would suggest against a 4P AMD setup in your case. In my experience with CAD programs, depending on the complexity, you will be better served with a higher IPC intel chips, with higher clock speed. Since this sounds like a work PC as well, you want the performance for its purpose, an SR-2 is still great at folding.

Hmm....is now the time for me to offload my SR-2 system to you and go to an AMD 4P? I'll mull it over...

Either will work. There are also faster (and more power hungry) Xeons that will work too.

I would almost figure the best bet would be to put up a WTB thread for a whole SR-2 system (or just mobo/chips/RAM). Prolly grab a nice deal and help someone with their upgrade plans.

Hmm....is now the time for me to offload my SR-2 system to you and go to an AMD 4P? I'll mull it over...

:D:p

Neither, spicy is denoted by an Extra Spicy designation, Also the S Spec code will usually start with a Q and only be 4 letters instead of a retail chip's 5 letter code starting with an S.

To add on, L is low power X is EXTRRRREME

A ES chip would be like L5639 ES or x5650 ES.

And while HP spec'd L5639s in their oem servers, L5639 was never a retail/non ES chip.

Go for sr-2 ... with some extreme spicy chips....
I'll probably have 1 or both sr-2 rigs available for sale soon :D

Oh yes, many are using them on sr-2s
Thanks for the info.
Is an SR-2 the only board these guys can be OC'd on?
I know as far as a dual socket that's true but how about single socket MBs?

Back