Folding with Intel D805

Joined
Dec 13, 2003
Messages
2,238
Does anyone here fold with the dual core Intel 805 chip? If so, how high have you been able to clock this core and is it worth it for Folding@Home? I currently have 7 machines in my farm and would like to add a few more. That being said, I can get a deal for a dual core Intel 805D processor, motherboard, case and 512mb of ram for $285 CDN. I can also build 2or 3 1.4ghz T-bird systems for about 200 CDN. Would it be better overall to go with the 2 or 3 1.4ghz Tbirds or the dual core Intel setup. Also I will definitely overclock the 805 and try to get 3.5ghz from it. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

The only reason I'm asking this, is because of my concern of the poor FPU performance of the Intel processors.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index....M800/512/51WBK&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1068
 
Do you pay for your energy? In general I think the D805 would be better Point per dollar wise if you include the cost of electricity. I personally don't know how the D805s do as far as Points Per Day per Ghz. Should be similar to a Pentium 4x2 I would think.
 
Well, over in the other sub-forums, we've seen 3.5 - 3.9 GHz (assuming decent RAM, motherboard, and cooling), which isn't bad for the price. Obviously, your mileage will vary...but Preslers have overclocked well.

As for the poor FPU performance, I don't think that makes much of a difference in folding. I have seen an AMD and Intel machine both folding the same protein with only a minute difference between the two (Intel being a minute faster per frame). Of course, that's not always going to be the case with each protein, but aren't all the proteins and the method of calculation about the same?

 
If you get that box, let me know what you think of it. I've been eying it for the past little while. While my graduation present to myself was a new Viewsonic VX2025 monitor, one of those nice little dual core intels looks damn tempting.

 
Back
Top