Folding Speed

Retro Rex

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know how various cpus K7, K8, P4's vary in folding speed? It would be great to have a big table that compared cpus, speeds, and folding times, and thereby points per day, points per upgrade dollar...lol

Edit: And it would depend on the protein as well...this would be a complicated undertaking!

Not as hard as you might think. Having been on both ends of the processor thing almost since the beginning it’s become pretty well know that if your building from scratch the AMD is overall the top performer.

Let me qualify that a bit. Building 64 bit machines is not at all cost effective, they fold slightly faster but at a huge cost difference. AMD XP’s at 2.0 gig and up seem to be the sweet spot for cost per point overall. The motherboards are cheap, the CPU’s are getting cheaper and they are still fairly easy to over clock. Intel boxes do quite well but not if your scratch building folding boxen, again the cost is too high per WU or Point.

On the other hand, if you have a bunch of either handy at work or home, them Borg your butt off. They all fold. :D

Larry used to have a page that compared cpu times per wu. That was awhile ago though, I don't know if it's been updated. I think there got to be too many wu's to keep track of. Basically it showed what BillR just said, Athlon XP's kick butt.

I'm going to keep track for the few boxen that I have, then post back here. Here are the initial results for my work box:

CPU 2.4 P4
Protein: p227_NTL90Murea
seconds/frame (avg) 320.6666667
points/day 86.22037422
Protein: p693_L939_WT_Nat
seconds/frame (avg) 449.3580247
points/day 117.2873235

What would help is if people would send me copies of their FAH logs. Basically i'm developing a little spreedsheet which will calculate points per day automatically by just pasting in a section of the log.

Please only send logs from boxes which are not used for other work. This would skew the results of course.

[email protected]

Back