Folding questions for RS/6000 hardware

tiebird321

[H]ard|Gawd
i got a toy for free
(see server in sig)
i've got it doing lots, (FTP, SQUID, BT tracker, Apache)
and i've never had it spike above 2%cpu utilization
(quad proc 64bit RISC rules)
i feel that ther is lots of power being lost here
and i want to use it for something usefull
i already have 4 comp labs doing seti
so i figured i would lend some support to Folding

i took a Quick look at the folding website (30sec)
and i'm going to take a longer look lator
but i didn't see much about getting Source code for use on RS/6000 machines

i was wondering if anyone had experiance with running the folding program on AIX on RS/6000 and what they used to compile the source and what flages they found gave the best performance

if there is lots of info on the folding page and i've just missed it could someone point me in the right direction
many thanks

stanford doesn't post f@h source so noone will cheat and send in fake wus. sorry, don't know of a port unless your system does linux emulation or something similar.

An alternative distributed computing option is Distributed Folding. They have a client for just about everything. Check the sticky at top of forum for address.

edit: Sticky doesn't have the URL, so go here Distributed Folding

I dont know how well it would run, but you mentioned that you did other distributed projects.

If you find a different project that has a client for that beast, just swap some stuff around. Have your new server run something else, and have other things fold.

well couple of emails later
who ever answers the emails for the folding website confirmed to me they dont have a curent port of the folding project that will run on my rs6000 using aix
which i find sad

any other projects it might work on?
or should i just have it doing seti?

Distributed Folding > Seti
Medical DC > Not

look it over.. there is an [H] team, and they have a client for you. Thank you for looking into doing something good for humanity with your cycles. EVEN as DF and even FAH finish projects, they will have new ones to start. This stuff will only be over when there is no more sickness and we control the weather : )

sharp

Back