Folding pr0n! Pic of my latest addition

sobe

Limp Gawd
rackrc8.jpg

3x Compaq DL380's with 2x 3.06ghz Xeons and 4gb of RAM each. Folding 24/7 but sharing cycles with some some other CPU intensive applications. 2 boxes are Win2k3, one is CentOS 4.4. Tying them together is a 12 Port Cisco 3500 switch, Avocent KVM over ethernet switch, and an APC 19" Flat panel display with keyboard and trackpad.

Bill Clo said:
Looks like you have PLENTY of room for future acquisitions.
its like a stripping working towards that first boobjob :)

Nice. Mine are just 4 Boxen sitting on a small dresser, a gaming system (GPU folder) and a few laptops.

jmroberts70 said:
BTW, how loud are those guys?

They're not bad.. compared to a 737 taking off. They are all also chock full of 15k RPM SCSI 320 drives :cool:

I have resetup my server farm in the new house.

Now to get an additional powersupply for one of the quad xeon units.

servrack1.jpg

Scorpionjwp said:
...Now to get an additional powersupply for one of the quad xeon units...

Give me a part number and I'll see if I have one for 'ya. It's a Compaq Proliant PSU you need right?

On the bottom unit I am currently running on one processor, and I does the repeat reboot because it don't have enough power. Its a proliant 5500, I know what powersupply I need, but I have to get it later.

Yea, I've got an extra one now but I just checked eBay and they're going for around $6 now. Wow! Nevermind...

Maybe I should raise these guys up from the dead and get them foldin' now! I'm guessing I'm going to have to run them in the garage so the noise doesn't drive us all crazy. The 6500 is loaded with quad Xeons and about 3GB RAM. I think the 1850R is a dual Xeon with 1GB RAM. All processors are around 500MHz. You guys think it would do any good?

bunchofdrives01.jpg

jmroberts70 said:
Maybe I should raise these guys up from the dead and get them foldin' now! I'm guessing I'm going to have to run them in the garage so the noise doesn't drive us all crazy. The 6500 is loaded with quad Xeons and about 3GB RAM. I think the 1850R is a dual Xeon with 1GB RAM. All processors are around 500MHz. You guys think it would do any good?

[\QUOTE]

If you want to pay your energy company any more......

jmroberts70 said:

Oh, every little bit helps, if you can justify the power consumption vs. the PPD you'll get, then get those things cranking.

JEEZE! A PD at 4Ghz? What the PPD on that thing? I can barely get my 2.66 C2D to run at 3.2Ghz.

[BRO]Alaskan said:
load the SMP linux client and the quad 500mhz should net you ~350PPD and the dual ~175PPD.

Last I checked the SMP client required 64bit processors :(

if i had the bucks that would be mine!! thats what 40 processors in an 8u workspace:D alrightt giggety giggety

84gthatch said:
if i had the bucks that would be mine!! thats what 40 processors in an 8u workspace:D alrightt giggety giggety

True, or go with a newer Dell blade with the quad cores. 80 cores in 7U, theoretically you could put 6 in a rack. That's some folding density... :eek:

JBavousett said:
JEEZE! A PD at 4Ghz? What the PPD on that thing? I can barely get my 2.66 C2D to run at 3.2Ghz.

Yeah but you've got a far superior processor. At 4ghz, this thing did dual-superpi 32m's in like 33 minutes and some change. At 4 ghz, it barely can match my opteron 165 (main machine) @ 2.8ghz.

Even still, for folding, it will do its job nicely :) I don't know PPD, I just started it folding last night, just got it running the day before yesterday and was tinkering with the overclock this whole time. I think it could go a good bit higher, because 4ghz is still on relatively low voltage as you can see in the screenie, but this thing is in the same room as my main computer, tv, etc, and it runs HOT (60c under load is "normal" for these things :rolleyes: )

Kinda kicking myself now for not having gotten a C2D, but then the "spare parts" machine would be better than my main machine, and we just can't have that :p

I pin most of the overclocking instability on my C2D on the mobo...I got a cheap ass ECS because of the combo deal and the extra PCI slot. I'm moving away from that now. I have two 7950gx2's on the step-up RMA from evga, so I'll have two 8800's in a few weeks, I'l probably grab the new evga mobo, should be more stable....that and faster ram. Then I'll push this cpu as far as I can.

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed when reading your sig. Kinda like having a porsche, ferrari, and lambo, and parking them under a car port :p

Back