Folding on Optimus Laptop, GPU folding no worky

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
I gave away my sig rig a few weeks ago and have been pretty much living on my laptop. I had not folded in about a year or so. Anyway, the new folding setup is waaay different than I am used to. It seemed pretty simple, but lacked all the config options like -configonly and -smp etc etc and is basically a web interface like Sabnzbd. Anywho, I got it installed and folding cpu wise, but the gpu simply wont change status from "waiting for idle."

I am on an XPS 15 Sandy I7 with a 540m which is roughly equivalent to a desktop 260. Since it is an optimus laptop, and I am doing nothing but web browsing, the 540 should be free to fold to it's hearts content, however it's not engaging. My only guess is the Intel and Nvidia can't work at the same time? Maybe? Any idea's? Here is a pick from shortly after I installed it.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/destench/fah_zpsb87980d9.png

when the webpage opens there is a slider on the top, move it to the far right

Alternatively you can just close the web page, and in your system tray is a FAH icon, right click and open "advanced control", this will open up "FAHControl" , which will have the slider as well as other "advanced" options.

Yup, what W.Feather said. The options bar is a little misleading. Anything less than "FULL" and the GPU wont fold unless your system is extremely idle. It's pretty much Full or nothing if you want the GPU.

Yup, that worked. Thanks.

Be careful folding on a laptop. It's not unheard of but very taxing/very hot for very little ppd.

Not telling you it doesn't help, because it does. Also Don't want to see you melt your laptop either...

Ya, I know. I am not the average laptop user in that I do a complete tear down of my laptop and clean it out completely with compressed air and isopropyl with electronic cleaning swabs about once a month. That being said I am still running around 88-90c @ 27w on the cpu. It might be time for new thermal paste. I never replaced the factory stuff with AC or similar.

Ya, I know. I am not the average laptop user in that I do a complete tear down of my laptop and clean it out completely with compressed air and isopropyl with electronic cleaning swabs about once a month. That being said I am still running around 88-90c @ 27w on the cpu. It might be time for new thermal paste. I never replaced the factory stuff with AC or similar.

That was the first thing I did on my Dell laptops (E6530, E6510, E6500). But then like you have torn down to the frame at least one of them. All had CPUs replaced with something better than they came with. The E6510, E6500 has Artic Silver 5 TIM installed and they both run well.I also used Artic Silver Céramique 2 and put that E6530. (it was on the bench at the time) No problems with Céramique 2 either.

My Quad Core e6530 runs 89c-90c on the cores. Sometimes I see 91c on a core. The nVidia NVS 5200M leveled out at 90c The temps are reported by Core Temp and GPU-z. The vent on a side on the laptop is a nice little hand-warmer on this cold summer day in Pacifica. (Ummm, yes there is plenty of warranty left :) )

Last edited:
Back