Folding on Laptop?

burro

Weaksauce
Dad's buying me a laptop for my college graduation. Probably going to be around the $900-1000 range so it'll have a decent processor and possibly a 9800M or so graphics wise. He thinks I'll be using it when I get moved to a general manager position at a new restaurant over the summer, but it'll probably sit around. I just recently started folding for [H] when I was previously on a random team that won me a cheap video card and am getting into the rankings, getting about 10k ppd on this desktop alone. Is folding even productive on a laptop? I'm guessing it's a lot better than nothing, but I'm used to the GPU client kicking tail.

depends what processor it is really.. if its high end eg 2ghz or higher amd or intel then you might be able to run the smp client on the cpu.. i wouldnt recommend the gpu client if its a 9800m.. damn thing will run hot as hell unless it has active cooling on it.. if it doesnt you will probably melt the motherboard.. :p

I fold the MPICH SMP client on 3 notebooks. Two have 2GHz dual cores and the third has a 2.4GHz dual core.
The third's 9600M GT is also running a GPU2 client. If you're going to surf, it's best to pause the GPU client then unpause it when ready to let it do it's thing.

P.S. You'll need to grab the latest notebook driver from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
You can let it scan your notebook for the latest.

I also use one of these on each notebook, Antec Notebook Cooler S
While folding, you won't want it on your lap. :p

Last edited:
I fold the MPICH SMP client on 3 notebooks. Two have 2GHz dual cores and the third has a 2.4GHz dual core.
The third's 9600M GT is also running a GPU2 client. If you're going to surf, it's best to pause the GPU client then unpause it when ready to let it do it's thing.

P.S. You'll need to grab the latest notebook driver from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
You can let it scan your notebook for the latest.

I also use one of these on each notebook, Antec Notebook Cooler S
While folding, you won't want it on your lap. :p

How much PPD are you getting on each laptop running the smp clients>?

It depends on the wu, but as of right now
The one I'm surfing on, (2GHz Dual) 1050 on a 2653(1760 point wu).
1186 on a 2653(1760 pointer) also a 2GHz Dual. Both running Vista 32bit.
The 2.4GHz Dual, 1232 on a 3062(1732 point wu) with 1154 on a 5777(768 point GPU wu).
The 2.4GHz/9600M is a Vista64 bit OS.

I get about 500PPD on my laptop's 1.7GHz Turion X2, which isn't great but it's still better than nothing. A faster Intel CPU should perform quite a bit better, and would be worth folding on. Plus, if you get a notebook with a decent video card like a 9800M, you should be able to get a decent amount of points from the GPU2 client as well.

My laprop with 8800m GTS has been folding since last July on the GPU. I tried running SMP but it's only a 1.8 Ghz C2D. The ppd was low and it was nothing but problems. Since I left the CPU alone and just ran GPU it has been stable for 6 months. I did pull the HS out and cleaned it and applied AS5. That helped a ton on the temps.

Back