folding on ion says unstable machine?

lilfiend

Supreme [H]ardness
so ive been trying to fire up f@h on my ion (nvidia 9400m) and while i know its not going to give me loads of ppd every WU counts.

the problem is that every time i start the client it downloads a WU, starts it, then shuts down the core and says unstable machine. this is quite annoying as the machine is very stable, its 100% stock, ive tried gpu2 and gpu3, both dont recognize the gpu model (unknown species) and both throw up the same error.

any ideas?

Sounds like a driver error. Try the 197 driver if your gpu can use it.

The core might just not like the GPU.

Also, I'm not sure you will even hit the deadlines. With up to 16 cores, probably clocked low to save power, It just is not a good idea me thinks.

deadlines on the normal cpu client are about 2 weeks, give or take a few days, shouldn't be too much different with the gpu client should it?

I tried this on one of my many netbooks, it's not a supported GPU, and ifthings scale right we wouldn't even make deadlines. Atoms and Ions don't fold. (ok, An Atom technicly "can" fold, butyoul only get like one WU done in 3-4 days non stop at a 25% OC or higher, over 2 ghz, on the standard uni client)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

its actually about 9 and a half hours for a 2.25ghz dual core atom or 33 hours for a single core 2ghz atom....yea, they dont fold all that well....

well ill be saving up then to throw a 460 in the ion machine :)

got gpu folding to work, had to use the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 command on it. Does 1% every 7 min, according to fahmon its 1 WU every 11 and 1/2 hours and each WU is worth 353 points, dead line for WU's are 48 hours.

looking pretty good, also found out that running ubuntu x64 on it i can get about 1k ppd out of the cpu using the smp client with the -smp -verbosity 9 command, so i was contemplating whether or not i should switch it on 24/7 for that, thing only draws 30w under load anyways, or just leaving it on the gpu client and running windows on it.

looking pretty good, also found out that running ubuntu x64 on it i can get about 1k ppd out of the cpu using the smp client with the -smp -verbosity 9 command, so i was contemplating whether or not i should switch it on 24/7 for that, thing only draws 30w under load anyways, or just leaving it on the gpu client and running windows on it.
You can run the SMP client under Windows, and it will even perform better than under Linux. Follow my guide here if you're interested: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1511766

You can fold on your CPU and GPU at the same time, though it might not be worth it depending on how many points you produce. I would suggest that you test with both running and with just the CPU running, and find out which method will give you the best production.

Back