Folding on Core i7 and Windows 7 RC

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
How can i setup CPU folding for my Core i7 920 on Windows 7 RC, i read that it does not work right now?

Also what kind of PPD do Core i7 920's put out?

How can i setup CPU folding for my Core i7 920 on Windows 7 RC, i read that it does not work right now?

Also what kind of PPD do Core i7 920's put out?

With mine at stock I get around 8k ppd

The best way to do it is follow Capreppy's guide.
It uses VMware player(free)
and the Notfred folding VM (free)
WinAFC(free)

You can also run this along side your GPU clients if you are running those.

Let us know if you need any help

Last edited:
With mine at stock I get around 8k ppd

The best way to do it is follow Capreppy's guide.
It uses VMware player(free)
and the Notfred folding VM (free)
WinAFC(free)

You can also run this along side your GPU clients if you are running those.

Let us know if you need any help

that is a newegg page lol

also do you need to use the virtualization method or is there another way to fold in windows 7?

I really don't know "jack" about the "virtualization method" (I'm in no way disparaging brother capreppy's teriffic guide) ;). I do know, for a fact, you can use both the F@H GPU2 client and the F@H WinSMP clients in Win 7 RC 64 bit :D. I have been using GPU2 with a 8800GS and WinSMP with a Q6600 G0 cpu since Win 7 beta and now with Win 7 RC1 since it came out :). My boxen is WC'ed and a 24/7 DCer :p.

The biggest snag for me was learning to use the admin deal for installation and operation. (right click the icon , choose admin) You can get rid of all that stuff by just turning the UAC off altogether. :rolleyes:

that is a newegg page lol

also do you need to use the virtualization method or is there another way to fold in windows 7?

haha LOL
sorry d00d....i had just been posting a reccomendation for someone, and I guess i got switched up.

Looks like Zero straightened me out though.

Also and you can use the windows SMP client but you be about %50 efficient. The VM's are WAY better

Anyone know of the production differences between a Core i7 running four Linux VMs vs. eight of them?

Anyone know of the production differences between a Core i7 running four Linux VMs vs. eight of them?

Theres no benefit....and it actually may lower your overall ppd.

Capreppy tried that and while the FAH monitor showd an increase there really wasnt.
It wasnt reporting time correctly and was causing a timeshift issue resulting in inaccurate reporting.

From what I've seen, overclocking to 4ghz and turning HT on can get you up to 11k ppd with VMs (forgot if it's 2 or 4).
Probably four VMs. The Linux SMP client still isn't perfect at using four cores, and it's most efficient when one client is used for every two cores.

PpD (assuming 1920 point WU [A2 core]) is roughly 2500 - 2600 PpD per VM (assuming one VM assigned two 2 cores) on a 920 @ 3.9. As soon as I can replace my NB/SB Waterblock and I'll be able to get 4.2GHz and bump my production a bit more.

If you want to maximize PpD, then VMs are the only way to go. I've got 10 VMs (native linux, not notfreds) going across 4 machines. They have been rock solid stable going on 2 months without a glitch.

PpD (assuming 1920 point WU [A2 core]) is roughly 2500 - 2600 PpD per VM (assuming one VM assigned two 2 cores) on a 920 @ 3.9. As soon as I can replace my NB/SB Waterblock and I'll be able to get 4.2GHz and bump my production a bit more.

If you want to maximize PpD, then VMs are the only way to go. I've got 10 VMs (native linux, not notfreds) going across 4 machines. They have been rock solid stable going on 2 months without a glitch.

Any reason you are running linux instead of notfreds on the VM's?
And BTW what distro you running?

When I wrote the guide, I was running notred's. notfred's is stable, but occassionally ran into issues which required my intervention.

My laptop travels with me for work. So I have to shut down and restart the notfred VM at least a couple of times a day. Notfred's didn't like this. Thus the reason I went with native linux. Once you set one up, making "copies" of the instance takes minutes. So while I started with notfred's, I ended up going to native linux

My native linux (Ubuntu 8.04) have been just plain rock solid. I've not touched them at all since I started them. Of note though if you go this route, pick up the Beta 6.24 Core vs the 6.02 core. There is some issue with the 6.02 core where it will complete a WU, send it up and just sit there. 6.24 does not do that. I had read issues with 8.10 and 9.04 so I just decided to stick with 8.04. I ONLY use it in VMs so I don't need all the fancy schmancy stuff that 9.04 will give me. I just need ROCK SOLID STABILITY which 8.04 delivers.

My laptop VMs even if I start and stop a dozen times in a day, I have never had a problem with it.

Probably four VMs. The Linux SMP client still isn't perfect at using four cores, and it's most efficient when one client is used for every two cores.
From my tests with opterons, linux SMP gives the best results with 4 cores per client. The i7 needs double because of HT.

Back