• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Folding? On a Shuttle SFX? Yeah, right...

Strikemaster

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2001
Messages
1,264
Boss dropped a machine on my desk, said it was having some issues with the hard drive (corrupted Quickbooks files). He asked me to take a look at it and see what was going on.

Popped it open, started poking around inside to see how the thing is built, and broke out laughing. The boss had said the customer thought he'd smelled something like "the furnace coming on for the first time" a few times over the past year, but the computer didn't do anything odd. Lately, though, it would sometimes shut itself off for no apparent reason. After looking at what's in the picture, you'd understand why. The rather strong retention clip for Shuttle's I.C.E. module was still attached to the bracket, but it wasn't doing too well in the tension dept. :)

It would seem that the sole cooling fan in the beastie has one particular resting position, that it cannot start up from at low voltage. Once the computer got heating up, it would *sometimes* be able to spin up when full voltage hit the fan. Sometimes.

Observe the results of running a Shuttle ST62K w/ 3.0gHz P4/HT without cooling in a normal business environment. Can you imagine what this would have looked like with 2 FAH clients? :eek:

check-fan-sm.jpg


(Click here for full-sized slag!)
 
Wow... that's... wow. Intense.

Don't knock all Shuttle SFFs, though - the SN45Gv2 in my sig folds along very, very happily - 38-39ºC while it's doing it, too. :)
 
Well every shuttle I have had folds great

I more worry about my dell opti's in the summer

I can't beleave that thing melted I wonder if it was installed correctly, Was it an easy part to get cheaply

(no tag out of town atm )
 
Duster said:
Well every shuttle I have had folds great

I more worry about my dell opti's in the summer

I can't beleave that thing melted I wonder if it was installed correctly, Was it an easy part to get cheaply

(no tag out of town atm )

It is/was a stock Intel retention bracket, a few bucks at our buddy Directron. They also had a replacement fan that seems to be doing the trick for keeping this little beastie cool.

Then again, I'm not taking chances. The fan has been set for "Mid" in the BIOS, to spin the fan at medium speed until 80C, then full. I have no idea what it was set for before (the boss was monkeying around in BIOS before he dropped it on me), but one look at that bracket and you know something wasn't right in there. :(

I have the old fan here, and a fan controller. Might test it to see if the boss' assessment was right. He said he had to "bump start" it with a pen before it would get going. It spins quite freely and "cogs" to a stop like the motor is good, so...
 
Back
Top