folding on a plex server?

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
So, since I'm looking for ways to at least trickle something out when my 970s aren't running (got them up more now), I was staring over at my plex server and the wheels started turning... Has anyone folded on a plex server that does transcode on the fly? Any performance hit?

Also, I've got a 650 and a 610, the 610 is in there now but I like keeping that box cool since it's got 5 HDDs and my entire collection of rips, which is like 4TB now, I'd hate to lose that lol.

Any idea on PPD with a 650 or 610? Is it even worth it? Or better yet, will it kill my plex ability, because I'd like to not do that if I can lol

Plex server specs in sig, runnin server 2012 r2

ok, better question. How do I install friggin drivers for a desktop GPU onto a Server OS? All the Nvidia server driver packs wont find my card I'm running (the 610, or maybe 650 if I swap but if I can't even get the 610 to boot this is a lost cause)

I'm sure someone here is using a desktop card to fold on a server OS...?? Lets start there then I'll tackle performance testing after

ok, better question. How do I install friggin drivers for a desktop GPU onto a Server OS? All the Nvidia server driver packs wont find my card I'm running (the 610, or maybe 650 if I swap but if I can't even get the 610 to boot this is a lost cause)

I'm sure someone here is using a desktop card to fold on a server OS...?? Lets start there then I'll tackle performance testing after

Download the workstation drivers for Windows 8.1. It's the same kernel as Server 2012R2 and the drivers will install and run just fine.

I was folding on a 650Ti until it started erroring out all the time and rarely finished a WU. It usually took over a day to complete recent core 18 or 21 units and was getting < 20K ppd so it might not be worth the power draw depending on how expensive electricity is where you are or how bad you want the D. Even my 750 takes over a day on most core 21's but its a power sipper and is just a PhysX card when I need it.

The 650 was pulling duty as a physx card and on the 610 it just makes a nice output card that's passive. I tried on the 610 but it's looking like 2 days to finish a unit lol, might not be worth the CPU drain. Was worth a try tho lol, don't need the D that bad lol

I run F@H on my NAS that's running Plex Server without any known issues. I've got a GPU and CPU client running on it. I just make sure Plex has priority when it needs it.

I run W7 Pro though. Not the server OS.

Back