Folding on a laptop

Tac

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased a Sony Vaio FW 190EEH from the egg. I want fold on it but I'm concerned about heating issues. does anyone fold on a laptop here? Am I just not [H]ard enough?

The cooling on each laptop is unique. It can be shit or robust. Every laptop I've folded on has gone nuclear. Others here swear it works fine. YMMV. Folding is a good way to make sure your laptop runs fine under load before the warranty expires.

I fold on my Dell Vostro 1500.

I have it on a Notebook Cooler

ZALMAN Ultra Quiet Notebook Cooler Model ZM-NC1000 Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998051

It keeps my Vostro 1500 at 42C full load on the CPU (Core 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.4Ghz)

It is a great looking product that really works.
The notebook actually feels cold while on this thing.
Actually makes it easier to use the laptop as well and I am unable to hear it running.

I consider it 100% worth the investment.

Generally, business class laptops is very robust so you can fold on it indefinitely if given proper airflow. I have one such laptop for over one year without any sign of failure.

Consumer grade laptop is not always designed for this use, basically to lower the costs. You can try it and monitor the temperature.

I have a T61 Core2 duo Lenovo... And I've burned out 2 cpus in two years. :) But I have the 3 year extended warranty, so it hasn't been that big of a deal. They've replaced the board and CPU with no questions so far.

My wife has a consumer level HP, and I'm just too scared to run it at 100% cpu just cause I've fried mine twice. I've been testing hers with fah set to not take the full 100%. I'm also playing around with scheduled tasks to stop and start FAH during the night when she's not using it just cause the fan running at 100% constantly annoys her.

I fold smp on my laptops CPU as well as the GPU2 client on 8800M GTS. I've been running it this way for a few weeks and it borked the installation of windoze once. I'm not sure if it was the heat stress or the number of clients I installed and uninstalled while learning the basics of [H]ardfolding. GPU-z shows the GPU temp to hover around 66-67 C. Not terrible high temps, I'm assuming the CPU is similar temps as they share the same heatsink.

The GPU client makes 2400 points most days, occasionally it will pull an extra unit and get 2880. The SMP unit makes about 600 PPD. Mine still has most of a year of warranty left.

I run 2 instances on my T60p and I have had no heat related issues so far. I have been doing this since Sept 2006. I do not run the SMP client because of the deadlines since I might be unplugged or on standby for quite a while too. I would do some experimentation first to see what temps you run though.

I run the SMP client on a Dell D630. I tried the GPU client, but in WinXP, the resource overhead wasn't worth the PpD.

I use an old targus laptop stand to keep my lappy 1 inch above the desk. This provides plenty of room for airflow. I've been using it since March and no issues.

I generally run F@H at 80% and monitor temps and fans with both NHC and I8kfangui. But I'm pretty sure my i9300 is fried at this point. I can't even get Windows to install so I went to Linux. So far so good, but I don't trust it. I'd just be careful if it isn't under warranty. Start at a low % and monitor the temps. Good luck!

I generally run F@H at 80% and monitor temps and fans with both NHC and I8kfangui. But I'm pretty sure my i9300 is fried at this point. I can't even get Windows to install so I went to Linux. So far so good, but I don't trust it. I'd just be careful if it isn't under warranty. Start at a low % and monitor the temps. Good luck!

Another offering to the folding gods to be piled upon the hardware that came before it :p

Back