Folding newbie questions

musicman_ace

Limp Gawd
Ok, I read the stuff but didn't quite understand it all.
My home network server (runs 24/7) is a 1ghz athlon. I just set folding@home to use 30% figuring that I probably can give it more, but its my initial configuration.

Is this going to fold a decent amount? I thought I read that it must complete 1 fold in a certain period of time. So I am wondering if I need to bump it up so that it will complete at least 1 in that time period. Perhaps I read the stuff wrong, but thats why I'm asking.
can I run it as a service under 2003 or do I have to be logged in?

Is there more [H] sponsored folding apps? what others does someone recommend?
Obviously my server is faster than a home server would need to be, so my thoughts are I should be able to run a few of these and I won't really see a performance decrease.

thanks
adam
musicman_ace

Folding @ Home actually runs as a very... VERY... low priority process... you can set that to 100% and it will only use 100% when it's your server is idle... on my PCs, if I move the mouse (while looking at the process info in Task Manager) I can actually see the decline in processor usage for folding... It is designed to be very unobtrusive... you won't even know it's there....

EMIII ( www.em-dc.com ) is a good monitoring program for F@H...

There are many ways you can help out the [H[orde, others can fill you in on those... My only knowledge comes from F@H....

Keep on Folding!!

Adam,
We concentrate on two DC projects f@h (folding) and UD (grid).
Both of these programs are designed to run at 100% in the background and stop when other processes need the cycles. Setting below 100% will help if you run two different DC projects or if your system is prone to overheating, but probably doesn't do much in your situation except lower your output. Basically you're setting the percentage of unused CPU cycles you want the program to utilize.

Since they're "unused" or idle cycles anyway as long as your system has sufficient cooling to run at full load (most OEM HSFs can handle this) you might as well set it to 100%.

PS At 30% you might not make the deadline on a 1GHz.

I raised it back up, so far it says 5/400, so I must have done something. It should fold faster now. Overheating isn't a concern I've never seen that computer go over 42C when it was my gaming rig.(38C right now)

Answers I'm still seeking are

Do I have to be logged in, or can I run it as a service?
Would it be a hinderence to F@H if I ran another DC client?

the new v5 allows you to run it as a service... there have been threads that have mentioned this recently... make sure you run it with the flags that are appropriate... just browse around the forums a bit (or someone, who knows a little more than I, can post about it, since I haven't had much luck with it)...

Welcome to the [H]orde!

Keep on Folding!!

The F@H 5.02 console version adds the feature of running it as a service, so you do not need to log in. There were workarounds for the previous versions.

If you run another DC program, as long as they have the same priority, they should get equal cpu time.

there's really not much point in running another DC project at the same time...the main ones as relic said are UD and FAH; i suppose you could run both of them at the same time if you wanted

other DC projects are things like Prime95, which searches for mersenne primes; while a worthy goal, it is nowhere near as worthy as folding--which is why we fold.

set that CPU percentage up to 100%!! It only uses spare cycles...so no need to be warey.

Idk about Win2k3...sorry can't help you there.

If you leave it at 30%, no, it won't really help that much, but yes, we will still appreciate it.

Welcome to t3h [H]orde!

Adam,
In reference to running as a service, yes you can on 2003. I'm doing that now. Which client did you download, graphical or console?

Back