Folding in Ubuntu

BioHazard.89

Limp Gawd
While I'm learning how to use Ubuntu, Instead of having this PC idle when I'm not using it, I'd like it to fold with the rest of my systems - mainly downright now after a move..... how in the world do I do this?

Can I even fold on Ubuntu?

Yes, you can fold on Ubuntu. You either have to find finstall (easy to setup script, but the server for it appears to be down) or configure it manually. I currently have FAH running on a Ubuntu server in my farm, and I simply put it into a screen to get it to work. FAH automatically sets itself to a nice value of 19 in linux, so it takes the absolute lowest priority in Linux...if ur doing anything, it won't slow you down.

I'm not sure if there's a way to throw it into the background with an argument, but I've just always put it in a screen.

Full Folding Ahead!

I am a complete n00b to Ubuntu and honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I downloaded the console 5.02 and it's sitting on the desktop... When I try to run it I get an error:
"Couldn't display "/home/username/Desktop/FAH502-Linux.EXE"..

And this is only when I double click it to run it.... like i'm used to in Windows =D

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Check out the guide to setting up F@H on Linux at hardfolding.com

and try to run it using a console (shell) window first instead of just clicking it.

The OP might need to chmod it to have execute permissions. It's explained on hardfolding.com.

sandmanx said:
The OP might need to chmod it to have execute permissions. It's explained on hardfolding.com.

No might about it, he will. ;) Linux, unlike Windows, doesn't default to letting stuff run. You have to tell Linux it's okay with a chmod +x filename in a console/terminal. Ahhhh, I remember the first Linux install I had.

"WTF, where is my C drive and CDROM/Floppy. Why does my computer have like 14 folders? This is rediculous!" :p Ahh, those were the days.

Full Folding Ahead!

Thanks for the help and sorry for being a complete n00b =D

What would seriously help me is how to get into the Console and edit the chmod......

Thanks =)

BioHazard.89 said:

What would seriously help me is how to get into the Console and edit the chmod......

Thanks =)

It depends on what window manager you use. Usually, ctrl-alt F1 will be a console screen(and press alt F7 to get back to X). There should be a way to bring a console window up in your manager.

BioHazard.89 said:

Thanks =)
So the guys helping so far have you setting up for a linux FAH client. That is a very good start. I also am using kubuntu and have found a better folding solution. After installing kubuntu, learn how to use the Adept package manager , and I would also recommend finding and installing Synaptic. (2 big steps... ) Then use google to find the wine binary & download it. you may have to add sourceforge to your repositories..

Then when you have installed wine , you can use it to run the Windows FAH client for better results !!

It is quite a path for a linux noob... but I was too, & I figured it out...The great thing is that after you have figured this out enough to install wine, you aren't a noob anymore !!

I would tell you to email me for questions... but I am only good enough to point you at the same info I used to do it myself....(uh, and give me enough time to find those references again... )

RPhArrow --///-------------------->

Back