Folding@Home Network Booting with Linux

hey, I'm currently at home for Christmas Break, but should be back on campus temporarily sometime near January 8th and then sometime near the 15th for the start of the new semester.

just drop me a line when/if you have a new version for me to host...heck, if this gets easy enough, I may even be tempted to try it... :)

W00000000000000000T!!1!@ :D :D

I finally got it working. There's still final testing to be done of the install script etc, but I've got past the major hurdle that I had left. It now boots from CD fine, and has all the pieces that are needed to install it. Now all I have to do is get the script debugged, adjusted, and whatnot. It should be ready by the 8th. Nothing else is likely to happen tonight, since a) it takes 5 minutes a go to burn a new copy and boot it and b) we're leaving for Ohio (until the 31st) in 5 hours or so. (have to turn all our computers off -> production-- :( )

Total size as of now is 56980 K, or 55.6MB, or 58290176 bytes if you like. It shouldn't get much bigger, and maybe a few megs smaller. I have an extra kernel floating around, I'll probably get rid of it. Also, the extra kernel is 4MB right now. That seems a bit excessive, even with all the network stuff built in.

In summary, W000t!. Fold on, all.

I think I will wait for the 8'th, before I continue.. :) It was an excelent linux refresher though.. With a ISO it should be a no brainer with vmware, as you can boot directly from a ISO..

I've added some more functionality to the client; it now calculates how many points the proteins are worth, and how many points per hour the machines are generating. Screenshot below. Any suggestions with regard to better layout are welcome. HTML source available on request.
um_progress.gif

Back