Folding crashing video card?

gamz247

Gawd
For like the past month, I've been trying to set up a new rig to dedicate to F@H. I just got it up and running, only with the console app instead of the graphical client. Big deal, right? I'm still just curious as to why things were happening. So, here's the box:

AMD Sempron 2400+ w/ stock HSF
MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR mobo
1GB Kingston HyperX PC2700
ATi Radeon 9600XT
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB SATA
Antec TruePower 330W PSU

The problems happened right after I installed the graphical client and let it run at 100%. First, the computer would freeze, the screen would flicker and I'd get the message about how my VPU was recovered. Then later the video signal would totally crap out. Rebooting would only start the process over again. The rig is not overclocked in any way, although I'm sending 2.7V to VDIMM just to keep the timings low.

So, any idea as to why this kind of thing happened? At least F@H is running in some form, I'd just like to be able to see those pretty molecules if I wanted.

Its the pretty molecules that are causing the rig to crash. The graphics seem to have a problem, mostly with games not being able to load and stuff. I suggest you move to console client or if you still insist on graphical client, render the proteins in Ball & Stick not spacefill which usually causes problems.

also, if you use the console client, EM3 is a monitoring program for the client that also displays the protein so you can see all the pretty stuff. ;)

I'd run the console client, and use EMIII to see those proteins if you wish... It'll allow you to track MANY boxen from one PC and you can see the protein on each...

The console client may correct the issue you're having... Many have had problems with the graphical client for various reasons...

I'd also set those RAM timings to stock, along with the voltage... See if that eliminates the problems... (F@H is more of a pure GHz-dependent program, RAM timings have little, if any effect)

Keep on Folding!!

Are you running both the console and the graphical? If so that is definatly a problem.
The console is more reliable, if you want to run the graphical one you will need to remove the console from the machine before dowloading a new graphical client.

Let's try to get all responses in 1 post!

I don't really "insist" on the graphical client... I don't even need to have the display open for it to cause problems. I also noticed some slowdown in startup when I ran the console app as a service.

The RAM timings are stock for that kind of memory... although since it is a nForce2 chipset, I could probably take 'em to 2-2-2-11 to be "safe".

Only the console app is running right now. I uninstalled the graphical client.

Maybe I'll see what happens tonite if I install the graphical client and go to ball & stick and lower the draw rate. If the same stuff happens, I guess I'll just stick with the console.

Have you ever had any trouble with 3D apps and that card? Mag is right that the graphical client is known to be glitchy, but I've never heard it to be to the point where it's causing the card to completely lock up. It could just be that the card you have is in good enough shape for 2D, and doesn't like 3D at all.

Well as part of the [H]orde... you should know that quantity and quality are married...

you dont have to do one over the other...

however phantom does go for quantity.... and i lean towards quality..

p[H]ant0m said:
Have you ever had any trouble with 3D apps and that card? Mag is right that the graphical client is known to be glitchy, but I've never heard it to be to the point where it's causing the card to completely lock up. It could just be that the card you have is in good enough shape for 2D, and doesn't like 3D at all.

This card's been sitting in a closet for a while... just wanted to put it to use instead of collecting dust. Thought it worked ok while it was in my main rig...

K, well I'm with the masses and suggesting that you go with EMIII and sticking with the console. Since you said this is going to be a dedicated folding rig, is it safe to assume you have an additional PC you use? If so just set up EMIII to monitor it and use its plugins to view the proteins. Or you could run any of the battery of tests to stress your vid card and see if it is in fact taking a nose dive on 3D.

Yea what that fool said...

console is the way to go for dedicated boxen.. less cycles used to draw.. more to fold!

Back