• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Folding causing problems

RavenD

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
1,516
I recently borged my friend's Dell that has a P-D 2.4Ghz chip in it, however they've been telling me that sometimes while folding is running the internet/network stops working, and that if folding is then disabled, it starts working again immediately. I'm starting to think it might be the onboard NIC or the motherboard, because for one thing the NIC has given me problems before, and also the the only thing I can come up with as the cause is poor power regulation on the motherboard causing instability when the CPU is at full load on both cores. I'm going to try putting in a PCI NIC to see if the problems persist.
Has anyone seen anything like this before, or does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be causing the network connection to stop functioning when folding is enabled?

 
Make sure it is configured only to run at idle also.

And how much memory is on the system?

Never seen the internet not working because of it though.
 
RavenD said:
I recently borged my friend's Dell that has a P-D 2.4Ghz chip in it, however they've been telling me that sometimes while folding is running the internet/network stops working, and that if folding is then disabled, it starts working again immediately. I'm starting to think it might be the onboard NIC or the motherboard, because for one thing the NIC has given me problems before, and also the the only thing I can come up with as the cause is poor power regulation on the motherboard causing instability when the CPU is at full load on both cores. I'm going to try putting in a PCI NIC to see if the problems persist.
Has anyone seen anything like this before, or does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be causing the network connection to stop functioning when folding is enabled?


In fact I have seen this before.

The company I work for just picked up a few new Dell computers and they all have this issue and none are running the folding project.

They were at a loss and of course Dell was no help at all. What I did was turn of all power management in the display properties (right click on desktop, properties, screen saver, power) screen. I then went to a static IP setting for the computers in question. Problem solved. I can’t be sure but I believe Dell is actually disabling the NIC in their power saving scheme such as you might on a notebook. In a DHCP situation the computer simply disconnects itself because the modem or router thinks it is disabled.

Worth a shot anyway ;)





 
BillR said:
In fact I have seen this before.

The company I work for just picked up a few new Dell computers and they all have this issue and none are running the folding project.

They were at a loss and of course Dell was no help at all. What I did was turn of all power management in the display properties (right click on desktop, properties, screen saver, power) screen. I then went to a static IP setting for the computers in question. Problem solved. I can’t be sure but I believe Dell is actually disabling the NIC in their power saving scheme such as you might on a notebook. In a DHCP situation the computer simply disconnects itself because the modem or router thinks it is disabled.

Worth a shot anyway ;)





Considering the problems I had with the NIC that sounds like exactly what is happening. Gonna try it out the next time I'm over, and then that P-D should be folding once again.

 
That's good to hear, some of those Dells can be strange beasts like that. ;)

 
Back
Top