Folding Box not connected to the Internet

Scheizekopf

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm pretty new to Folding and have 3 strong systems folding and ready to fold some others. Some of the systems are not connected to the Internet. How can I make them Fold? Can I transfer the data some how after a WU is done?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, I don't know of any way to fold without at least part-time or dial-on-demand Internet access. We used to be able to sneakernet genome WU's around, but I don't know if there's any way to do that anymore. These machines don't even have dial-up access?

if one PC is on dialup, I think you can set up Internet Connection Sharing for the others (using a hub, router,etc).... basically set up a proxy server... I think XP allows you to do that without buying 3rd party software...

I've never tried to "sneakernet" F@H WUs... not sure how that would work...

Broadband is your friend :D

Keep on Folding!!

Okay. Well the computers are connected to the Internet. They're at work. F@H will not connect. How can I get around this?

They may have a port blocked that F@H requires in order to connect.... Do you have permission to run F@H on the PCs at work?

Keep on Folding!!

You can use an internet connected computer as afeeder for the others. Just run an instance of Folding@home on that computer and copy the whole folder over to the non internet computer and allow it to work on the WU. When it is done, move the folder back to the "internet" computer and send the information....repeat. There are variations to this but it works. I am required to do the same for a few of my computers that I currently have running.

Edit: By copy, I mean move. Make sure that you only have the files in one spot or you might get very confused and complete the same work unit multiple times....

Get permission to run F@H at work... the last thing we need is bad publicity for the project...

Keep on Folding!!

Try doing a search on sneakernetting on the forum.
It's relatively easy with the timeless tinkers, if they still exist.

Back