Folding at home GUI installer...

Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Messages
11
I'm new to these forums, but I'm sure you get a lot of people needing help with installing F@H in Linux.

Well, I've developed a GUI front end to installing F@H. It's still in early development, but any advice or feedback you can give me would be great! At the moment I'm trying to compile a list of commands to download the 32 bit libraries for 64-bit computers.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/339776-gui-f-h-installer-linux.html

This is where the project is being managed. Thanks in advance.
 
Interesting project, and just in time since I'm going to be trying a few distro installations in the near future for the first time. There are quite a few Linux users here who can probably lend you a helping hand if you have any questions.

 
One of the main reasons I came to this forum was because of your reputation for the folding project. I assumed that with such a high number of WU and points that a good number of you must be running SMPs on Linux. Over at my other forum, only about 10%-15% run folding in Linux and even fewer know anything else about it.
 
One of the main reasons I came to this forum was because of your reputation for the folding project. I assumed that with such a high number of WU and points that a good number of you must be running SMPs on Linux. Over at my other forum, only about 10%-15% run folding in Linux and even fewer know anything else about it.

That's correct. I do run linux under VM in all my boxens. Off my head, there is a total of 11 linux instances (10 virtual and 1 physical). However, I do use finstall to do the installation, which is straightforward as long as you know how to use the command line. I guess your GUI installer is a nice one for those who are truly linux n00bs ;)
 
I've got several machines folding under Linux, and there are indeed many others here who do as well.....but as Xil said, finstall is pretty straight forward and simple, even for novice *nix users who can follow simple directions...

BUT.... if you can get this thing fine tuned and 100% reliable, I think it could be a really cool tool for those that are intimidated by the command line, and there are certainly plenty of new linux users out there that don't want to mess with the terminal.... and we all know that it can be difficult at best to get help sometimes...

Interesting project, and I'll be interested to see what comes of it, thanks for sharing it with us.

 
That's correct. I do run linux under VM in all my boxens. Off my head, there is a total of 11 linux instances (10 virtual and 1 physical). However, I do use finstall to do the installation, which is straightforward as long as you know how to use the command line. I guess your GUI installer is a nice one for those who are truly linux n00bs ;)
I've never heard of finstall. I'll have to take a look at it and maybe even include some of it's code (assuming it's under the GNU license). This program really is intended for those people who just want to Virtual Machine into Linux to fold. If someone was really planning on using Linux full time I'd always recommend doing it the old fashion way. ;)

I've got several machines folding under Linux, and there are indeed many others here who do as well.....but as Xil said, finstall is pretty straight forward and simple, even for novice *nix users who can follow simple directions...

BUT.... if you can get this thing fine tuned and 100% reliable, I think it could be a really cool tool for those that are intimidated by the command line, and there are certainly plenty of new linux users out there that don't want to mess with the terminal.... and we all know that it can be difficult at best to get help sometimes...

Interesting project, and I'll be interested to see what comes of it, thanks for sharing it with us.


Thank you for replying. Like I said it's still in Alpha and I'm a horrible GUI programmer. I've been told about zenity though and I'm going to see if I can incorporate that into the code. I'm just not sure if most distros come with zentiy. After all, I'm trying to make this a newbie friendly as possible.

For those of you who do use Linux, I'm looking for commands in the package manager to install the 32-bit libraries on 64-bit distros.

So far I have:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs #Debian (*buntu)
pacman -Sy lib32-glibc #Arch
yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33 #Fedora
emul-linux-x86-compat and emul-linux-x86-baselibs #Gentoo
yast -i compat-libstdc++-5 compat-32bit #Suse

If you have anymore (or see a mistake in this code) I'd be really appreciative.
 
I downloaded 0.16 (the latest?) and gave it a spin. The 32bit and 64bit scripts both work completely as intended. This is a nice little program off to a great start. I would definitely prefer a completely point and click system like this is aiming to be over finstall for a linux noobie, it will just be more familiar and comfortable.

If you are indeed as you say a "horrible GUI programmer," then Zenity would be a good idea. I haven't played around with it too much, but it looks like a great way to a add quick and dirty front end. Everything is there that you would need to also construct a client.cfg file without resorting to the shell.

Keep up the good work!


216
 
I have plans to add to my boxen in the near future. I have always wanted to learn Linux, but never wanted to take the time especially just to fold. So this program sounds like it would definitely benefit people like me. Keep us up to date on how its coming. Thanks for the update and the effort!
 
I downloaded 0.16 (the latest?) and gave it a spin. The 32bit and 64bit scripts both work completely as intended. This is a nice little program off to a great start. I would definitely prefer a completely point and click system like this is aiming to be over finstall for a linux noobie, it will just be more familiar and comfortable.

If you are indeed as you say a "horrible GUI programmer," then Zenity would be a good idea. I haven't played around with it too much, but it looks like a great way to a add quick and dirty front end. Everything is there that you would need to also construct a client.cfg file without resorting to the shell.

Keep up the good work!


216

Hey thanks for the "review" can I ask what distro of Linux you were using and if you had previously installed the 32-bit libraries in the 64-bit version.

I have plans to add to my boxen in the near future. I have always wanted to learn Linux, but never wanted to take the time especially just to fold. So this program sounds like it would definitely benefit people like me. Keep us up to date on how its coming. Thanks for the update and the effort!

You are exactly the type of person I'm aiming at with this program. I know that [H]ard is in the number one spot and I figured a lot of you were still using Window's SMP (which we all know is slower and runs hotter). Hopefully, this program will allow you to command an even bigger lead and maybe one day surpass anon!
 
I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 64bit with ia32-libs already installed.


 
Thanks Godofgrunts, I plan on buying my bits for a couple boxen within a couple weeks and I'll give your program a try and give you feedback from this Linux Noob.
 
Only Linux I'm using is NotFred's Diskless :D

The thought of programing anything gives me a headache :D
 
Gotcha. Did you notice the the program updating ia32-libs?

Yes, it invoked apt-get properly, but since I already had the latest version, nothing was installed/updated so I cannot say 100% for sure everything worked perfectly. But it did continue on fine after that.
 
Awesome. I'm downloading so ISOs of other Linux distros to virtualize into so I can test this out. Please continue with the feedback.
 
So, that last update failed... Sorry if you tried it. I fix the code and tested it before releasing it. Sorry again.
 
Thanks for the link, but have you tried looking at finstall's code? It's probably the worst documented code I ever saw... It would take a bash n00b (like me) DAYS to figure it out. I just don't have time for that. I have an idea already, but if I have trouble I try to decipher that mess.
 
It happens. :D

I like the idea of a service option. For a linux noobie thats the best way, set it and forget it. Finstall already has this problem solved, you might want to take a look at that to get started.

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/A_Complete_Guide_to_Using_FINSTALL_for_NEWbies

Okay, I've decided that I do want to install it as a daemon (linux version of a service), but it is low on my list of priorities. A new GUI has been written (hopefully it looks better, I haven't seen it yet) any bugs can reported here, on the other site, or through the e-mail provided in the README.
 
Thanks for your work.

I don't run any Linux at home since I don't know anything about it. I have about 10 windows boxen, with about half and half split between XP and Vista.

I do have one box running UNTANGLE --- a firewall boxen that does other things as well. I love Untangle, and I would like to look at what you are doing. Thanks for your work.


http://www.untangle.com/



 
Back
Top