Folding announcement, except for relic.....

BillR

Born Again Cynic
It has become apparent that the anamorphic shift along with the paradigm differential of and combined with the inability to sustain and promulgate further social intercourse and discourse has clearly brought about the need to bring certain information to the attention of all present.

I speak to those who have switched strategy in the folding process. Those among us who now use the new GPU-2 client along with the tried and somewhat true SMP client should take heed and possibly alter our methodology.

After much intense late night experimentation I have come to the conclusion that with the GPU and SMP client working together you will find a more harmonious relationship between the two clients if you discontinue the use of our old pal, The Affinity Changer. Regardless of which Windows OS you choose, AF is gonna bite you in the ass for sure. In this circumstance simply uninstall it and points will rise.

This message is directed at everyone with the single exception of our own relic who has somehow never mastered the art of using said program.:p

S0, for the moment at least those are my findings, see how they compare to yours.;):D

While said information is indeed valid and sagacious, it may be divulged that for those individuals that trial NotFreds or other said form of VM SMP clients may wish to avail themselves of SMPSeesaw or Seesaw Pro as running multiple VM SMP clients alongside said GPU2 client will surely wish to lock said VM SMP clients to 3 cores on a Quad as to not interfere with the hardiest of the producers. :D

I stopped running AC on the only machine it was being used simply because I dropped the second SMP instance after installing the GPU client. It's pointless when you're running only one SMP client

Way too early in the morning for that kind of fancy talk...

Way too early in the morning for that kind of fancy talk...

LOL I definitely agree!

And I found that installing affinity changer onto vista sp1 didn't really give me much of a change anyway, so I uninstalled it a while back. Course now i'm only running 1 SMP with the gpu client, so it doesn't really matter.

I noticed similar implications with the puissant computational power of my devise, however I only presumed that it was my own implacable hardware.

I like this game. :D

LOL I definitely agree!

And I found that installing affinity changer onto vista sp1 didn't really give me much of a change anyway, so I uninstalled it a while back. Course now i'm only running 1 SMP with the gpu client, so it doesn't really matter.

Ditto for me. Since I run VMWare, AC is useless for me.

Hey you guys gots to give me a break :eek:
It's hard to read a post, scratch my head, flip pages in my dictionary and think of a "witty" repose in return.
With that said, would someone please translate some of the above posts :D

FOLD ON!

I will break it down. We got three bitches.
Biatch 1 = SMP
Biatch 2 = GPU (2)
Biatch 3 = Affinity Changer

See, when workin wit Trick ho 1 and 2, everything is smooth as silk ya dig? But that crazy ass, weave snatchin, street workin HoBagel 3 comes into da mix... Oh ITS ALL OFF, nah mean?

So, only work two tricks at a time, specifically 1 and 2, cause day be da best!!!!!!!! an shit

Reading the fancy talk and I fond something odd : "bite you in the ass for sure" in it... It's like finding a fly in your cup of tea.

Should have been "poked in the bottom rear part of the anatomy with a sharp object with certainty" !

would this be a paradigm shift?

never used it, just set the affinity myself

I will break it down. We got three bitches.
Biatch 1 = SMP
Biatch 2 = GPU (2)
Biatch 3 = Affinity Changer

See, when workin wit Trick ho 1 and 2, everything is smooth as silk ya dig? But that crazy ass, weave snatchin, street workin HoBagel 3 comes into da mix... Oh ITS ALL OFF, nah mean?

So, only work two tricks at a time, specifically 1 and 2, cause day be da best!!!!!!!! an shit
Werd! :D

(I think it's sad that I understood this more than the OP! :eek: )

It truly is way too early in the morning for this kind of fancy shmancy talk. It is truly sadder that I understood it.

I will give it a whirl and turn off AC. Question for everyone. How does one turn of AC once it has been installed? Do you have to uninstall it?
edit: Just re-read the OP and it says uninstall. DUH!!!

More of a Dogma take over I believe.

What we need to do is: Think outside the Dodecahedron!

Hey, you gots to give mama's dog a break and where is this Dodecahedron joint, is it a bar or something?

Only kiddin' and I still pefer just a plain ole' four sided cardboard box. :p

FOLD ON!

Here's a question. I frequently see people mention setting affinity on the SMP client, or running two SMP instances on a quad. But when I look at my SMP client, right from the start it detects 4 cores and launches 4 instances of the F@H core. You can set affinity on it but there's still 4 cores running. Is there another SMP version or beta out there that only runs dual-core and performs better?

Here's a question. I frequently see people mention setting affinity on the SMP client, or running two SMP instances on a quad. But when I look at my SMP client, right from the start it detects 4 cores and launches 4 instances of the F@H core. You can set affinity on it but there's still 4 cores running. Is there another SMP version or beta out there that only runs dual-core and performs better?

A trick is to run VMWare with 2 instances of Linux 64 bits. Each instance see just 2 cores. From the host, you set each VMWare affinity to 2 cores.

Interesting! That seems like a lot of overhead though. I've used VMWare a couple times before and the VMs ran frustratingly slow, granted that was with pretty outdated tech. Would a 2-core affinity VM running SMP + 1x CPU client + ATi GPU client produce more PPD than just running SMP/ATi GPU together? What distribution of Linux do people use?

Given my inherent nature to overcome the proverbial "grain" ; I detest such lofty grammar and suffice to say; would rather speak in LOL:

"I haz AC n my PPD is L33T"

Interesting! That seems like a lot of overhead though. I've used VMWare a couple times before and the VMs ran frustratingly slow, granted that was with pretty outdated tech. Would a 2-core affinity VM running SMP + 1x CPU client + ATi GPU client produce more PPD than just running SMP/ATi GPU together? What distribution of Linux do people use?

For this, you'll have to experiment. However with the VT included in most processors, this help a lot with VMWare responsiveness, along with enough RAM. I have 4 GB and I don't experience any slowdowns at all.

No, the SMP client can run on any machine with more than two cores, providing the processors(s) are fast enough. On a quad, you can install two instances by configuring a different machine ID and then run AC to improve production. The gains gan be more than 1000PPD depending on the WUs. It isn't as good production-wise as running VMs, but it can get pretty close. However, with the new larger SMP WUs and the advent of GPU2, this setup (and to a lesser exent VMs) is quickly becoming old hat.

The reason I did the original post was because I was in the middle of some experiments and increasing production.

Some of you may already know all this some may not but sharing info is what we do here.

First the GPU-2 client by default grabs core three on a quad and won’t let go. While there are provisions in the client to force it to use another core there seems to be no reason to do that at this time.

To up production I decided to add a single SMP client but I noticed it was dead slow, in fact slower than running two of the SMP clients. At that moment I was using XP-PRO 32 bit so I decided repeat the experiment on Vista Ultimate-64 and got pretty much the same results. I started looking at processes and found I still had AF installed on both machines. A quick uninstall along with a reboot and I started both machines at the same time. Both boxen were set at 3.0 to minimize differences.

The end result was the single SMP client dropped it’s time to about normal per given WU and the GPU gave up a little bit in output, not a ton so it’s still worth running both if you have a quad but the GPU is the one sacrificing output with this setup.

Dual SMP along with the GPU simply is not a great answer however Vista-64 did a bit better with that combo and even with careful tweaking I didn’t gain much.

With the SMP GPU-2 clients you can make improvements by tweaking priority on the GPU to a slightly higher setting.

With the priority bumped up a bit I’m finding I lose maybe one or two WU’s a day but the SMP can finish a 2665 in well under 24 hours. So, all in all it’s not a bad combo. In Vista 64 it’s even a better combo.

As always, your mileage may vary:D

Luck;)

Wow :eek:, thanks for the information BillR. I was just kidding about everything in my previous post except for the part about using a dictionary. I think it's because of people like you willin' to share information (along with many others on this team) and people like Mr relic and his inspirational posts (also along with others on this team) that help make this such a great team. Always, no matter what, the #1 team in my book.

FOLD ON!

This entire thread is fornicating with my cranium..... and it hurts.....bad.

I'll be off for a nice ice cube soaked in a glass of vodka, and I will do my best to absorb what I have just read... although I do not personally use AC due to my lack of anything resembling a quad.... but the more you know.....

Either way, thanks Bill... appreciate the information.

I'll be off for a nice ice cube soaked in a glass of vodka, and I will do my best to absorb what I have just read...

In which case you'll at least absorb something... doesn't matter if it was what you read. :D

Back