Folding and Internet Bandwidth

Tordek

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm on a extremely limited bandwith 16Kb/s up&down.

How much bandwidth does folding for, say Proteins, need? I'm in the process to get a free box and join the [H]orde...

Virtually none. The only time any bandwidth is used is when it contacts the server to send and recieve assignments. You dont even need to be connected to the internet at any other time.

RavenD said:
Virtually none. The only time any bandwidth is used is when it contacts the server to send and recieve assignments. You dont even need to be connected to the internet at any other time.

Raven's right.....
There is even a how-to in the FAQ on getting it to run on dail-up.

If you don't run large units, the requirements are pretty low. Less than 5MB transfer per WU.

What connection is this? 16 kilobits or kilobytes? 16 KB sounds like ISDN. 16 Kb sounds like satellite or something.

I hope he means 16KB/s instead of 16Kb/s. Either one would work for folding, but if it was 16Kb/s, it would be totally paralyzed while uploading or downloading (and it would take a while), while a 16KB/s connection would just be slow for a couple of minutes a day. I used to use a dial up connection that could only do 3KB/s and it was able to support 4 computers without too many problems. I was always hoping they'd upload and download overnight so that I didn't have to sit and wait the 10+ minutes it took to transfer the data back and forth - and that was back in the day with much smaller WUs.

I've heard people sometimes also manually upload/download new work units to their farm.

Back