• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Folding and Gaming bigadv?

Cinzanos

n00b
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
33
So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new gaming/folding machine...
I'm looking at picking up and i7-950 (probably will overclock it a bit) and a gtx 460, Lets say i game for 2 or 3 hours every day. Would it even be possible/worth it to run the big adv flag? If its not, I'm sure I could still pull the regular smps off. I'm fine with that - obviously I'd like to contribute as much as realistically possible :)

Just curious if anyone else has a similar machine in a similar situation...
 
as long as your in the 4-4.2ghz range.. yeah it should still be do-able..
 
Of course it would be worth it!

If you OC it it to at least 3.8 GHz, it'll be fine for -bigadv. But of course, the faster the better ;). Come on back when you get it set up and we'll walk you through how to set it up. Or at least point you to the Windows SMP guide (which is pretty simple to follow) to get you running -bigadv in no time.
 
You'll still be able to finish -bigadv units within the deadline even with a few hours of gaming a day. I don't game quite as much as you do, but I put in probably an hour or two a night on average and I have no trouble with -bigadv. Just make sure to close F@H before you run a game and start it up again afterward, since if you leave it open while gaming it will significantly reduce your performance.
 
You'll still be able to finish -bigadv units within the deadline even with a few hours of gaming a day. I don't game quite as much as you do, but I put in probably an hour or two a night on average and I have no trouble with -bigadv. Just make sure to close F@H before you run a game and start it up again afterward, since if you leave it open while gaming it will significantly reduce your performance.

You notice a performance drop when you play while folding..? I never close the my SMP client before gaming and it plays just fine. The client has low CPU priority so it shouldn't interfere too.
 
You notice a performance drop when you play while folding..? I never close the my SMP client before gaming and it plays just fine. The client has low CPU priority so it shouldn't interfere too.
Depends on the game, but more CPU-intensive ones like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 are basically unplayable for me while I have the SMP client open.
 
the 2 big games that take a hit in performance when folding are BFBC2 and civilization 5..

i even tried limiting my smp client on 1 core just to see how much of an effect it would have on bfbc2 and the games some what playable but you still get a huge frame rate loss anytime theres an explosion or smoke in your FOV.. but i run standard SMP client so even 4 hours of gaming i only lose about 300 points..

crysis as well gets a small impact when folding on all cores but if you leave 1 core completely available to crysis then theres really no effect..
 
IIRC, as long as you meet the ~50 minute-ish TPF for your WU, you should be fine. But, if you have to close the client because it's eating too many resources away from your game, then you'll have to start keeping an eye on your WU deadlines. Something like HFM.net or fahmon.
 
Back
Top