Folding and ARVD research

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
Does anyone know if folding results are contributing in any way to arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia (ARVD)? I've done a little searching, but hadn't seen anything. This disease is genetic disease, inherited by parents. It causes healthy heart muscle tissue to "transform" into fatty tissue, resulting in sudden cardiac death. No known cure, and extremely difficult to diagnose.

Thanks for any help.

Information if curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrhythmogenic_right_ventricular_dysplasia

A good place to ask this question would be over on the Folding Forum, specifically the Science Q&A forum. You'll reach a wider audience and maybe some of the Stanford folks.

As long as it is the result of misfolding proteins or related it is something F@H contributes to.

From the Wikipedia link:
AVRD is caused by genetic defects of the parts of heart muscle (also called myocardium or cardiac muscle) known as desmosomes, areas on the surface of heart muscle cells which link the cells together. The desmosomes are composed of several proteins, and many of those proteins can have harmful mutations.
I'd say F@H can contribute to at least a better understanding of this disease and possibly a cure.

I'd say F@H can contribute to at least a better understanding of this disease and possibly a cure.
Indeed. Even if there's no direct relationship from the research we're doing there might be indirect benefits that could be applied to treatments of diseases that are not currently the main focus of F@H. One medical breakthrough can lead to greater understanding in other research areas leading to more breakthroughs in the future.

Back