Folder Permission Issue

Skylinerecording

Weaksauce
I just took over a factory that had there engineer managing the network and this guy made a mess of the network. One thing we have discovered and I have never seen before is when you add a person to the folder permission of a master folder it won't propagate down to all the sub-folders and files even though when setting his permission it's told to do so. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening it or what's causing it. I have double checked everything and cross referenced it with there other factory and everything is setup the same but we have no problems at the other factory. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The folders and files underneath that folder have to have "Include Inheritable Permissions" checked in order for changes to the parent folder to propagate down.

I did enable inheritance but that didn't fix it I think I should just break inheritance then remove everything and rebuild all the users that have access to the shares. Because I also did notice that the sub-folders have users in them that I have never seen before in the parent folder.

Screenshots? You're missing something somewhere but it's hard to find out what without being able to see it.

Also, are you adding users to the folder level permissions, or adding users to a group that has permission?

I did enable inheritance but that didn't fix it I think I should just break inheritance then remove everything and rebuild all the users that have access to the shares. Because I also did notice that the sub-folders have users in them that I have never seen before in the parent folder.
bingo.
break inheritance in the off hours and rebuild it. Easiest and fastest way to get the job done. Who knows what else the last guy messed with. Better to re-do it so you know it's done right.

Who knows what else the last guy messed with. Better to re-do it so you know it's done right.

Exactly you have no idea the amount of strange errors in event log on the server. Several errors I have never seen before. At the other factory he also thought it would be a good idea to split a cat 5e cable and run the server and another computer off of it to send back to the main switch. Speaking of switches they had 15 5-8 port switches for 23 computers. Trying to fix that now too.

Sounds like a dream gig, you are coming in after a pretty bad admin so it's easy to look good! I love those jobs!

Sounds like a dream gig, you are coming in after a pretty bad admin so it's easy to look good! I love those jobs!

It also provides a nice laugh when you find something truly ridiculous. Like the wireless router I found deep inside the factory coming off a random switch with the cable plugged into it's WAN port. Very surprised that never caused issues but I quickly ripped that down when I saw it.

Just cause I like to play devil's advocate...I guess it depends on how complex your permissions are. That could be incredibly tedious task to rebuild. Just inspect the situation carefully. Also using a wan port in a router isn't a problem as long as you don't have a double nat scenario. It's a good way to segregate the wireless clients if you have a lot of people (iphones, etc) but not enough money to invest in vlan capable switches.

It also provides a nice laugh when you find something truly ridiculous. Like the wireless router I found deep inside the factory coming off a random switch with the cable plugged into it's WAN port. Very surprised that never caused issues but I quickly ripped that down when I saw it.

Haha. I've been in IDF's before where they had three access points all sitting on the same cabinet. One for internal users, one for guests, and one just for the IT staff. And they hated wifi because it never worked LOL

It's a good way to segregate the wireless clients if you have a lot of people (iphones, etc) but not enough money to invest in vlan capable switches.

If only. It was actually a employees router. They were trying to go around the no wifi policy they had in place so they could use their iphones on wireless.

I ran into a similar situation recently with a company that decided to rebuild their share folder structure. Took about 2 months but I think we have most of the problems finally sorted out.

Haha. I've been in IDF's before where they had three access points all sitting on the same cabinet. One for internal users, one for guests, and one just for the IT staff. And they hated wifi because it never worked LOL

That's how it was at my job. The AP for IT use and the guest AP were sitting about 1 ft. apart ontop of one of the server cabinets. That got changed when rewiring happend. ;)
Now to try to convince them that the employee network's range would improve if the AP was moved from behind a computer in the printing room :rolleyes:

Back