Fold from USB Pen Drive?

NoXPert

Limp Gawd
I've seen the topic before... I can use a couple of computers at work as long as I don't install anything to them. Is there a way to use a 32MB USB pen drive to fold? The computers don't have Intarweb access, so I also need to be able to transport the completed unit to an Intarweb-enabled rig.
If someone can outline the steps I need to take, I'll grab two ~2.x P4 rigs (I have a 32 & a 64MB pen drive available.). Of course, I can only have them running when I am there, for security (theft) reasons. Factoring that in, would timeless WU be better for this particular app, assuming it can be done?
Thanks for your [H]elp...

Set one of your internet boxen up with 2 extra clients, etc.
Once they have downloaded a work unit shut them down.
Transfere the whole folder to a pen drive. Mine are around 29 Meg so it should fit on a 32 Meg pen drive.
You should then be able to run from pen drive.

Timeless would probably help as you can cashe 10 work units so should never run out.

Luck.......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Update to this project:

When I plug this in (work computer) and start the FAH client, I get a message to connect to network. Read Log 1 below for this error.

When I plug in to my laptop, it begins with no issue, either connected to Internet or not.
The folder was created on a computer from home.

Log 1:
[13:12:20] - Ask before connecting: Yes
[13:12:20] - Use IE connection settings: Yes
[13:12:20] - User name: NoXPert (Team 33)
[13:12:20] - User ID not found locally
[13:12:20] + Requesting User ID from server
[13:12:20] - Presenting message box asking to network.
[13:12:22] Error: Got status code 407 from server
[13:12:22] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID

What should I be doing differently to get this running? Thanks, gents!

Did you run F@H -configonly to set it up on the boxen in question? or are you running it solely off of the pen drive? I assumed the pen drive was just the transfer medium.... F@H has a handful of registry entries, would you also have to have those?

I just searched my registry here at work for "Pandegroup" and under that, it only has one key.... the user ID........ maybe you need to run as configonly once on each new PC... to get a user ID.... ? maybe? could be? I dunno....

Keep on Folding!!

Yeah, I am running it solely off the pen drive, as they won't let me install anything. I was wondering if it wasn't a registry error... I'll try doing a -configonly flag on it from the USB drive on the computer I'll be using and see if it helps, though I think that the registry is most likely off limits to new additions not put there by Systems...
Is there a way around having to add a registry entry to use this? That's the ideal situation for me here...

OK, so -configonly didn't work, it still faulted out with the same error. It looks like this project is a bust. The only way it can work is if I can get it to read a User ID from the pen drive. If someone has a solution for this, I'm all ears, so to speak! It was worth a shot!

Its requesting network access because you configured it to ask before using the network. Do you not have permissions to upload/download from the work PC's?

If that's the case, then you need to run folding on the pen drive from a computer where you can get internet access first. It needs to download a core and a work unit before it can begin working. If the computer where you can access the ent also folds, be sure that the pendrive clients have a different machine ID number in their client.cfg's.

NoXPert said:
OK, so -configonly didn't work, it still faulted out with the same error. It looks like this project is a bust. The only way it can work is if I can get it to read a User ID from the pen drive. If someone has a solution for this, I'm all ears, so to speak! It was worth a shot!
You could try the -local option. That used to bypass the registry. Don't know if it will now.

Arkaine23 said:
Its requesting network access because you configured it to ask before using the network. Do you not have permissions to upload/download from the work PC's?

If that's the case, then you need to run folding on the pen drive from a computer where you can get internet access first. It needs to download a core and a work unit before it can begin working. If the computer where you can access the ent also folds, be sure that the pendrive clients have a different machine ID number in their client.cfg's.
It was configured and DL'd a full set of WU + core (batch). The computers I am wanting to use do not have Internet access, which is why I had the client get WU and then stopped it.
I have got one machine to run, however. I had to lie to it and enter a registry User ID. I copied the one from where I will DL/UL the work after completion. It took right off afterwards. That was all it wanted was a User ID. This will not show up as a new computer on the stats, but ends up being just the same. I will have to wait for a completed WU and then transfer the folder and get it to access network. Seems like a lot of trouble, but it is configured to work in batches, so I should be able to get a couple WU completed before I have to transfer. The second machine I was going to run has NT and will not recognize the USB drive. Figures. So, I am going to have to be satisfied with the one I got. It's better than nothing.
I have 2 b0rgs down; don't know what happened to one of them and I'm not sure which one it is. They are all at least 45 minutes away, so I can't get to them at all, really. My luck is crap. I don't even buy lottery tickets...
I did try the local flag, too, but got nowhere with it as well. Forgot to mention that...

OK, I wanted to renew my interest in grabbing a couple more rigs here. I need to be able to bypass the registry altogether and run fully from the USB pen drive. I cannot get this to work. Does someone have any fresh ideas?
Just thinking I saw a thread somewhere about a FAH CD OS or something of that nature. Is there such a beast out there that I could run on a 64MB pen drive?

I have run It from a pen drive before, i Just clickED on the EXE. and it set up.
???

u_DR_K13

u_DR_K13

Technically, I can run it from a pen drive, however, it requires a User ID registry entry to do so. My limitation is such that the Registry cannot be edited, added to, etc., and there is no Net access, either. The process must be fully contained within the pen drive minus the CPU/memory usage. It would have to be removed and then run from a Net-enabled rig to send/receive WU.
There's a line in the client.config file that says "usereg=yes" or something. I tried changing that to "no", but it changed it back. A shot in the dark? Yes.
The pen drive does have everything it needs to run (core, WU, etc.), and it will run on this work machine (lappy). I already have an instance of FAH on here as a service, so it reads that User ID form the Registry.
The pen drive is E:\, with FAH in folder "Fold". This is the 5.02 text console, if it matters.

Hmmmm Last week I found a rig at work that was full of registry errors and F@H couldnt write the reg, files without tons of errors,I tryed folding with a CD. I downloaded the exe. burned it to disc, poped it in, clicked the EXE. and iT worked, Maybe try that?
u_DR_K13

u_DR_K13

... ended up on the faq's list of "crap that won't work" so to speak.

I read that in Fujiwara's diskless question thread, and found it most fitting for my situation. Now what do I do to keep DR_K13 at bay...??? :eek:

Back