Focus stealing apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

s00pcan

Limp Gawd
I can't stand it when some program steals focus from my games or a movie. So what if my disc is done burning / some idiot is sending me a message / someone is calling me on skype, I DON'T need to die in cs:s because of it or be forced to get up and fullscreen my media player again. I'm running windows XP MCE.

So, does anyone out there know a fix for this? Tweakui and the registry fix for this does absolutely nothing. Also, don't say "turn off trillian/skype/cd burning/everything while playing a game or watching a movie", I didn't get a dual core processor to run one program at a time.

Then set an away message so that it says ur gaming and set your away state not to pop up windows till you get back.

s00pcan said:
Also, don't say "turn off trillian/skype/cd burning/everything while playing a game or watching a movie", I didn't get a dual core processor to run one program at a time.
I know you are new here, but it's not a good idea to come in asking a question and telling us what you don't want as an answer...especially when the answer you don't want is by far the most logical. Do you call your mechanic and say, "Fix my car, but don't tell me it's the timing belt!"? If you simply must run all of those programs, even though you can't use them while gaming, set up DND messages. I can somewhat understand leaving IM programs running, but why burn a CD while gaming? I know it's great to know that we can, but that doesn't mean we should. I have a dual core proc as well, and when I'm playing some CoH, I like to let me whole system have at it.

sometimes the most logical answer is the one you provide. as djnes stated, you answered your own question and as you don't want any additional help, i frankly can't give you any.

and no, this is not a flame, just logic.

protias said:
sometimes the most logical answer is the one you provide. as djnes stated, you answered your own question and as you don't want any additional help, i frankly can't give you any.

and no, this is not a flame, just logic.
Dr. Spok would be most proud ...

Live Long and Prosper

Wow, you're not helping, as expected. Maybe you'd understand if you had the same problem, but it seems you'd rather only do one thing at once instead of solving it properly. I've asked this question many times because it pisses me off a lot. Half the time I see replies that say "use the registry setting/tweakui, it fixes everything" - except it doesn't do anything. The other half the time I ask about this I get stupid replies like this. Turning trillian/skype/whatever off creates new problems. For one, people can't contact me, which makes them call me instead (which is much more annoying). Setting up away messages for games and movies is worthless, people still continue to IM me. IE:

[00:08] Captain Crunkkk: I BOUGHT A MIRROR, AND HAD INSURANCE, BUT THE MIRROR CAME TO ME BROKEN, IT WAS PACKED POORLY, IT WAS SHIPPED TO ME WITH JUST A PIECE OF CARDBOARD WRAPPED AROUND IT, I E-MAILED THE SELLER, BUT THEY WON'T RESPOND, WHAT DO I DO????? THANK'S GMC05416
[00:08] Captain Crunkkk: xd, looking through ebay forums
[00:08] s00pcan1: WHY THE F*** DID THIS MINIMIZE CS:S

Also happens whenever he calls me on skype, even though I've checked the skype forums and changed the settings people say will fix this problem. Oddly, my friend never, ever has this problem. No idea why, he's never even used tweakui or changed settings on trillian/skype.

And how do you expect me to not do anything else while taking 40 minutes to burn a disc (dual layer)? I burned one last night during a game (had a free sig552 under the bridge on dust, died after it took like a minute to get back in the game.), two during a movie (had to get up and fullscreen it twice) and ripped another. Each time it stole focus when finished.

djnes said:
I have a dual core proc as well, and when I'm playing some CoH, I like to let me whole system have at it.

Current games will only take 50% of your dual core cpu, leaving the other half open for other programs. Same for ram if you have any decent amount of it. And I don't even think I've gotten my core 2 duo to 100% on both cores except on the TAT stress test.

Also, your logic is pretty stupid. About as smart as this:
"Hey, how do I run this game without a disc? I hate changing discs. It's a waste of time and is illogical to force on gamers anymore."
Reply: Just use the disc. Problem solved!
"WOW Thanks! That totally solves my problem! Except not!"

The only satisfying answer for you would be to buy a 2nd monitor then put IM stuff there.

Thanks. Although I'd love to have a second monitor, there's no room on my desk with this hdtv. Unless I possibly got a monitor that can rotate.. Still, I'm not even sure if that would solve the problem. Thanks though.

Anyone remember that rap group from the past? NWA? Did it stand for Noobs With Attitudes? You're attitude is killing any hope of someone helping you out. Drop it, and maybe someone will put some effort into it. If not, you won't be around long enough to get your answer. Read the rules, as you were supposed to when joining.

No, this is how I am, and you're unwilling to help because you'd rather feel smart giving me bullshit answers that I've heard already and that don't help solve my problem while still allowing me to run programs. Nevermind the fact that starting and stopping programs every time I want to play a game is a bigger waste of time.

How is that a waste of time? Does it really take that long to start an app? You have a C2D, like mine, which loads things instantly. I use Trillian at home. I shut it off when I go to play a game. It takes a few seconds to start back up. All of my "buddies" are all still there, and haven't forgotten me. If you are playing a game and don't want to be bothered, why open channels to allow them to contact you? As others have said, you aren't applying very much logic here. If you have people that are that incessant about contacting you, maybe you should look for solutions that don't involve a computer.

On top of all of this, you are failing to get one simple point. We'd be glad to look into solutions for you, but with your attitude, and the manor in which you dictated how our solutions should be, you ruined any chance of that. That's a common courtesy, whether it be in real life or an internet forum.

djnes said:
On top of all of this, you are failing to get one simple point. We'd be glad to look into solutions for you, but with your attitude, and the manor in which you dictated how our solutions should be, you ruined any chance of that. That's a common courtesy, whether it be in real life or an internet forum.

You ignored my specific request to not mention any of those stupid solutions, and then go off spouting how it's illogical (for YOU) to find any other solution. That killed it right there.

Yes, it was US that killed this thread. That's why several people called out your attitude. :rolleyes: some people just don't get it.

Anywho, since you're wasting so much of your precious time typing here (think of all the IMs and Skype calls you're missing!), have you even considered the Virtual Desktop Powertoy yet?

I see this in 2 words : Attention Whore...

Just look yourself in a mirror then tell yourself if you really need that much attention ??? Just do 1 thing at a time unless you are pressed by tight schedule, which I doubt.

Look. Don't be dense. If you don't want CD-finished messages popping up when you're in a game, don't burn the bloody CD when you're in the game. How many CD's do you burn that you HAVE to play games while you burn them. If you're that big of a burn freak, perhaps a dedicated burning system would be in order.

Now, can someone help me for a change? I've got this bright light shining in my eyes and it's annoying. Solve my problem, and DON'T tell me to turn off the light or close my eyes, because that's just stupid and I'll flame the crap out of you if you do!!!11!!1!!111oneone!!1!

Yeah.

Well it sounds like all of the posibilities out there to not minimize your games dont work for you, so I guess you have to deal with it.

With Gaim and I assume trillian, you can set it so that when your away, IMs dont pop up till you get back, if thats no good then ya they'll steal focus.

The TweakUI setting you refer to doesnt count for new windows that pop up, just ones that already are open.

It sounds like you should have bought 2 PCs instead of one dual core the way you want to work it.

I doubt you'll find an aswer you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back