• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Flying Coach and Laptops.

Bikebro

n00b
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
14
Apple added some stuff to the refurb page this week and I'm trying to decide between a Mac Book and a 15" Mac Book Pro. Since I already have a top of the line home built PC the reason for getting this is traveling. I've run into the problem where I couldn't open my work laptop(15" Thinkpad) all the way in a coach seat and I'm worried about that happening with the 15" Mac Book Pro.

I don't really need the extra power of the Mac Book Pro and I would hope the Mac Book is lighter. Also I'm not a fan of white but paying extra money to get something in black is just stupid to me. Then again I don't really need another computer at all :D .
 
I've had issues opening the lid all the way on my Macbook on coach flights, especially when the seat in front of me is all the way back.

Don't have that problem on JetBlue though.
 
If you have a powerful pc already ( to play games and run 3d programs) a MacBook would be fantastic. If you are not a fan of white Speck products makes great plastic cases in other colors too.

Essentially the only hardware difference between the pro and non-pro is the graphics card and screen( proc a little faster too). Remember when you pay for more HD and ram you are also paying the apple premium. I have a white macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz, i just bought 2gigs of ram and a 160gb hd w/ an enclosure for under 250 shipped (thanks newegg!)

As for the airplane question, i have flown united and jetblue with no issues opening up my macbook.
 
Apple has the older 1.83 CD 15" Pro for $1299 and the current 1.83 C2D Mac Book for $950.
 
From my experience, I have to open the lid of my MacBook a helluva lot further back than that of my ThinkPad T20 to get the same brightness/viewing pleasure. If you can, go along to an Apple store or find somebody with a MB/MBP to see what I mean. With my ThinkPad I can have the screen pretty much vertical & get perfect viewing, but with my MacBook I have to have it at least another 15 degrees further back to get the same.
 
I fly every now and then (about once every other month) for business. I picked up a MBP 17" about 3 flights ago, opened it on all 3 flights and had no problems watching movies until the person in front of me put their seat all the way back.

I don't know that I could work on the machine (type, surf the web, check email) ;) if the seat was back, but it seemed all right to me.
 
Haven't had any problems opening my macbook all of the way on Southwest, United, or America West coach (granted southwest is all coach).
 
I know it's slightly off topic -- but if you can get first class or business class -- take it!

I used to think that it was just a waste of money because you land at the same time -- but it's how you travel. It makes a world of a difference to actually not feel exhausted when you land.
 
I've travelled a lot with my 15" MBP, and while it does get rather cramped when the person in front puts their seat back, it's still magable to type and whatnot. Watching video is obviously fine.
 
When I fly coach, its a nightmare to try and use my laptop. I have a Macbook Pro 15'' and its unusable in Alaska and United coach flights. Its great in first class.
 
I think it is dependent on who you are flying with.
I have flown on some and good amount of room without bothering others, but on some I would not even dare to move my arm. :(
 
Even my normal MacBook was horrible to use in coach. Matte screens are easier to get good viewing angles with, so I guess a matte MBP would be the ideal choice for a frequent flyer and Mac user.
 
if you have a high end pc and this is for traveling get a macbook, it's integrated intel 945G? with it';s 400mhz core is more then good for everyday things and some gaming.
 
I know it's slightly off topic -- but if you can get first class or business class -- take it!

I used to think that it was just a waste of money because you land at the same time -- but it's how you travel. It makes a world of a difference to actually not feel exhausted when you land.

For often double the cost you get a wider seat, some more leg room and free iqour..

Or you can just get a bulk head or emergency exit seat, get even MORE leg room and pay less.. works for me First class is overrated for the EXUBERANT (sp?) prices they want vs coach.
 
checkout seatguru.com before you buy tickets, and find the seats with the most room:cool:
 
Bulk head / Emergency Exit - the only 2 words you need to know at least for Air canada / American airlines / continental
 
Probably a stupid question, but do all airlines have power ports in their seats (even in Coach), thus making the purchase of a MagSafe Airline Adapter worthwhile? My company is too cheap to pony-up for anything beyond Coach:)
 
Probably a stupid question, but do all airlines have power ports in their seats (even in Coach), thus making the purchase of a MagSafe Airline Adapter worthwhile? My company is too cheap to pony-up for anything beyond Coach:)

I've never flown on an airline that had power ports in coach.
 
American airlines i recalled has or had DC outlets on about every 3rf or 4th isle, other airlines iam not sure, but i dont know of any that has them on every seat.
 
Back
Top