Fluxless Soldered CPU now VS Haswell or Ivy Bridge Extreme

Neo Zuko

Limp Gawd
Buying from scratch but I find I don't want to mess with Ivy Bridge for my new machine due to the TIM issue. It may not matter to some, but I hate it and don't want to delid and chance ruining the CPU, and I don't want to live with it. I want to water cool with a fluxless soldered CPU. I want to run my 680 Lighting alone for now, I may or may not buy another to SLI. Leaning towards just sticking with single GPUs, upgrading every year or two. Blu Ray Ripping/Transcoding, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Gaming, and general high end PC build are the uses currently. And I really dig the top end Asus ROG boards. No good reason, looks, bells and whatnot. Had several already from the series and I love them. Driver/Bios support is always good and I'm building a showpiece for my first water cooling system in a Case Labs case.

So that leaves my options at:

1. Buy a Rampage IV Extreme and a 3830 and then an Ivy Bridge Extreme as soon as they come out.

2. Buy a Rampage IV Extreme and a 3930K and then buy an Ivy Bridge Extreme mid life cycle or when a good deal hits. Optionally just keep the 3930K if the upgrade will not be worth it. But I would not want to ride a non K CPU forever, so a 3830 is a stop gap.

3. Buy a Maximus V Extreme, get a 2700K, hope that Haswell has fluxless soldered CPUs.

4. Use a laptop until Haswell, hope it has fluxless soldered CPUs.

5. Use a laptop until Ivy Bridge Extreme, get a better chipset specific to that CPU, hope it has fluxless soldered CPUs.

6. Buy a cheaper Mobo/CPU set up for now, go all out when Haswell or Ivy Bridge Extreme comes (the first to have fluxless soldered CPUs)

I know some of you say hey what's the big deal, ivy is ok... But I know myself, I just got out of an Ivy Bridge system, I'll just try to delid it and then I'll ruin it. So I am removing that aspect completely. I'd rather just pick up a laptop and wait vs dealing with this TIM issue again. I want to OC without that limitation and I decided that deliding isnt for me. The money difference in these plans is not a deal breaker thing, I just want thoughts on the best path, given where we are in the life cycle. And sure I like value for my money at times, and others I go all out regardless of value.

If you are in the position to wait and find out if HWL is using fluxless solder, then wait.

That way, if it turns out to not impress you, then you can go with an LGA2011 platform.

Since I get the feeling that you are an enthusiast and want the bleeding edge, wait and see what IB-E and Haswell bring to the table. That's the only way to know if they use fluxless solder or not. BTW I agree it was a shitty move by Intel and it really puts a damper on my upgrade plans.

I know right... The only time I knew what to do for sure was the 920 CPU purchase days. It was so simple then. I hope Haswell comes out with Fluxless Solder.

Now we have a choice of outdated chipset/CPU generation vs crap CPU TIM.

Last edited:
I'd go SB-E. Just like the X58 platform I think it will be viable for a long time to come, and you have 6 core and hopefully 8 core IB-E processors down the road.

Z77 won't see any new processors or architecture down the road, but X79 should.

I'd go SB-E. Just like the X58 platform I think it will be viable for a long time to come, and you have 6 core and hopefully 8 core IB-E processors down the road.

Z77 won't see any new processors or architecture down the road, but X79 should.

Problem is, if Haswell brings significant performance gains plus fluxless solder, then it's going to render both the 1155 and 2011 platforms obsolete at the same time. Not that either current platfork is lackng...they'll be viable for a couple/few more CPU generations.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Intel going back to solder with Haswell. If it is lower power than Ivy then they really don't have any reason to switch back.

I just went for a 2011 setup.
With consideration I push the F out of my PCs (not just gaming) I've yet to see the ceiling.
Plus Hexa-core is dead-balls sexy.

You can also sell that Lighting card to me if you want to wait and buy a laptop. :D

Just say'n.

Well I think on it, that may appeal to me, but I'm thinking I am going to order the 3930k and asus rampage IV extreme.

The chance of Intel switching back to fluxless solder is next to nil. The enthusiasts up in arms about this are such a minuscule percentage of Intel's customer base as to be almost totally irrelevant. If this is a deal-breaker, definitely go 2011.

The chance of Intel switching back to fluxless solder is next to nil. The enthusiasts up in arms about this are such a minuscule percentage of Intel's customer base as to be almost totally irrelevant. If this is a deal-breaker, definitely go 2011.

I think most of the extreme enthusiasts would rather have crappy TIM so that experimentation with delidding and bare die cooling can be done.

Last edited:
Well I thought about delidding but I just don't like that idea... I'll try it only if I have to. I'm just not that extreme I guess. And one mistake and I'm out $350 bucks... That's a 3930K right there. One guy on Overclock dot net ruined two 3770Ks in a row then bought socket 2011... I am good with my hands but hey why risk it. Socket 2011 is not that bad.

The bigger question is will ivy bridge extreme be fluxless soldered??? I agree there is not much hope for Haswell due to low watt design.

Problem is, if Haswell brings significant performance gains plus fluxless solder, then it's going to render both the 1155 and 2011 platforms obsolete at the same time. Not that either current platfork is lackng...they'll be viable for a couple/few more CPU generations.

There is no way that Haswell is going to render LGA 2011 obsolete. This is a mainstream chip/socket, no hexacore option with the goal being lower power consumption. There will not be a massive performance improvement with Haswell.

Well I ordered the R4E and 3930K and a second 680 lightning and a Samsung 840 pro SSD.

There is no way that Haswell is going to render LGA 2011 obsolete. This is a mainstream chip/socket, no hexacore option with the goal being lower power consumption. There will not be a massive performance improvement with Haswell.

Intel is not going to ride X79/LGA2011 forever to cater to the enthusiast niche. There will be a new enthusiast platform at some point with the Haswell architecture. The same way the Sandy Bridge architecture made it's way to the current enthusiast platform, which rendered LGA1366 obsolete.

Obsolete is not the same thing as viable/useable in the manner which I am speaking of. Obsolete just meaning there is a newer and better platform available for the money.

Remember, Sandy Bridge is available in two flavors: LGA1155 and LGA2011. They're all Sandy Bridge, nonetheless. The same course will be set for Haswell.

I think most of the extreme enthusiasts would rather have crappy TIM so that experimentation on with delidding and bare die cooling can be done.

Exactly ;)!! but then again not everyone is us either..Have you seen the newish ASRock Z77 OC Formula? All the goodies of the Asus Maximus Extreme, for over a $100 less..I am considering trying to swing one in my quest for 5Ghz..:D

Exactly ;)!! but then again not everyone is us either..Have you seen the newish ASRock Z77 OC Formula? All the goodies of the Asus Maximus Extreme, for over a $100 less..I am considering trying to swing one in my quest for 5Ghz..:D

Except that the potential for damage goes way up and I don't have to do near mandatory surgery just to overclock on fluxless solder.

I just went for a 2011 setup.
With consideration I push the F out of my PCs (not just gaming) I've yet to see the ceiling.
Plus Hexa-core is dead-balls sexy.

You can also sell that Lighting card to me if you want to wait and buy a laptop. :D

Just say'n.

I'm sorry but I had to say it, dead-balls aren't sexy in any way, unless one is necro... Well it is October so NM.

Personally my current choice for a new system would be 2011 also, but I'd just get a 3820 based on saving money for an IB-E upgrade when they are released.

Last edited:
Except that the potential for damage goes way up and I don't have to do near mandatory surgery just to overclock on fluxless solder.

Potential danger is there but its really not that hard to delid and improve TIM and IHS/block contact to improve temperature and performance. Don't do it if you don't feel confident about it. You may be able to find somebody to do it for cheap.

It's the only choice to fix the problem though. It's a good fix as well. I have had alot of fun doing experimental cooling on the bare die of IB.

Back