Flow rate for MCP655, DD D5, Eheim 1250?

thunderstruck!

[H]ard|Gawd
Are those three pumps good for use in a high bore loop? (Like 1/2", 7/16" bards, tubing, respectively.) I saw that the 1250 can push 317GPH (or 20 liters per minute) but can't find the flow rate specifications of the other 2 pumps. I know the MCP655 = DD D5, but couldn't find their GPHs. How do they stack up to the Eheim? Which would be better for performance wise? They are each the same price with the Eheim $20 cheaper. Also, would the 1046/48 be good with high flow? I noticed that is pushes about half of what the 1250 does..

Also, it would be great if anyone can recommend a different pump! Anything I should look for in a good one?

Those are all ok for a large bore loop. The D5 is a more powerful pump than the Eheim, the Eheim is probably a bit quieter. The D5 is much smaller than the Eheim and is powered by your PSU, the Eheim is AC powered so you likely want to get a relay card, that will run you from 10-20$.

I would suggest the D5, or perhaps an AquaXtreme50-Z (cooltechnica).

If you want performance numbers I believe there is very good data over at www.procooling.com

I also heard that the storm block works well with low flow systems if I get a eheim or a low flow pump, I'd be OK. Is that right? The storm also excels in high flow loops correct? (Still wondering if there are any sites that aren't price gouging on the storm.. :rolleyes: ) Also, would tubing go something like this?

Low flow = low bore (3/8", etc)
High flow = high bore (1/2", 5/8", etc.)

thunderstruck! said:
I also heard that the storm block works well with low flow systems if I get a eheim or a low flow pump, I'd be OK. Is that right? The storm also excels in high flow loops correct? (Still wondering if there are any sites that aren't price gouging on the storm.. :rolleyes: ) Also, would tubing go something like this?

Low flow = low bore (3/8", etc)
High flow = high bore (1/2", 5/8", etc.)

Actually there have been price cuts on the Storm recently. You could probably easily find it for $60 now. The Storm does perform very well in flows as low as 1gpm, and decent as low as 0.5gpm I believe. Highflow nowadays would be 7/16" - 1/2" anything larger is pointless with todays pumps. middle of the road is 3/8". And small bore/low flow is 8mm / 6mm.

If you are getting the storm I would recommend getting 1/2" fittings and using some MasterKleer 7/16" tubing, it fits excellent over 1/2" barbs, nice and snug.

Basically what Erasmus just said. 3/8" tubing isn't "Low Flow" its pretty much the medium between 1/2" and 1/4" tubing sizes.

if you're going for low noise, then 3/8" tubing and a laing DDC (DD DDC-12V or swiftech MCP350) are fine for a storm block.

if you are going for high performance, nothing beats the D5 in the price range.

the eheim is quiet.....however the last time i looked into it, the DDC performs better at a comperable noise level.

I am a big fan of the AquaXtreme 50Z (aka MCP600) pump. It has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, lowest power consumption of the mainstream pumps used. It also is very powerful (comparable to the D5) and much quieter. I own one and I can't hear it unless I put my ear up next to it. An eheim 1250 is a bit quieter, but the performance of the AquaXtreme is much better, especially in restrictive environments.

Back