Florida Inmates Spent $11.3 Million on MP3s. Now Prisons Are Taking the Players.

That $2.75 fee is very high considering that each transfer is likely pretty small. Taking into account that the inmates is not exactly flush with money, and have often very high fees for phone calls, I think it is outrageous. A strong word, but still.

As an example of what inmates earns: In California they get $2 a day for fighting wildfires, with $1 for each hour they spend fighting an active fire. (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ers-mendocino-complex-carr-fire-a8483571.html)

So, for a handful of dollars they are risking their life for something they are not trained for.

OK, I'll get of my soap box now.

Wait... so you're saying that crime does pay? Okay, so it pays very little, but seriously if you do the crime you're going to pay the time.

Wait... so you're saying that crime does pay? Okay, so it pays very little, but seriously if you do the crime you're going to pay the time.

Who said anything about crime? You must be one of them believers in free will.

Here's a hint. Whether you sit in prison or have to battle traffic on your daily commute, you are still bound by imperatives that only present the illusion of choice.

Let me know when the penny drops.

That's a bullshit excuse. If you know something he doesn't, explain it to him.

It's not so much about constructing a viewpoint on his behalf, instead he has a head filled with authoritarian crap that has to be deconstructed first. Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to take over where his parents left off.

90% (made this up from experience) of the people out there don't have any idea what quality their media is in. They are the kind of people that are more than happy to watch a cam rip of a movie or rip their CDs into wma's in WMP.
Right. Apple music store sold shit quality mp3 for years(still do I think?) and no one ever bitched.

Who said anything about crime? You must be one of them believers in free will.

Here's a hint. Whether you sit in prison or have to battle traffic on your daily commute, you are still bound by imperatives that only present the illusion of choice.

Let me know when the penny drops.

I'm sorry, are we talking about prisoners in jail or not? I can appreciate a little dive off of the deep end from time to time because I love watching a trainwreck, but you're off base and your point is invalid.

We are but mules to bring these govt agencies money . They will get more money from the new deal plus the bonus of having all libraries reset .

You don't need to be an inmate to get fleeced by govt for services rendered ..our city is the water provider so we have the highest water prices in the country. We also pay the highest gas taxes and have some of the longest lines at DMV ..6 hrs - DMV but only 1/4 of the money collected is being used for roads DMV ect ..the roads arent the worst in US, 2nd worse I think .

Company A says we will put a special fee $5 on every call from jail, but remit half to the agency ..they agency will take the free money at populace expense every time .

Kenny

People here talking about fire camps that don’t know anything about fire camps.

Volunteering =/= voluntold.

It's not so much about constructing a viewpoint on his behalf, instead he has a head filled with authoritarian crap that has to be deconstructed first. Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to take over where his parents left off.
that's a pretty big fucking leap for having never interacted with me before. I call bs on your "knowledge".

That $2.75 fee is very high considering that each transfer is likely pretty small. Taking into account that the inmates is not exactly flush with money, and have often very high fees for phone calls, I think it is outrageous. A strong word, but still.

As an example of what inmates earns: In California they get $2 a day for fighting wildfires, with $1 for each hour they spend fighting an active fire. (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ers-mendocino-complex-carr-fire-a8483571.html)

So, for a handful of dollars they are risking their life for something they are not trained for.

I can guarantee you they are not Initial Attack. At most, FFT2, which is similar to where crews from the village or even first year college students are assigned. Grossly over exaggerating their placement in danger. Granted, any time you're on the line, your life is at risk. However, their quals wouldn't put them within 20ft of an active fire. Now, that's not to say some of those crews aren't more qualified than others. Some might actually have FFT1. I doubt it, but some might.

Those types of crews are usually mopping up, swamping or gridding away from the fire.

Friend of mine was in prison for a decade. He was a firefighter for a few years. Yes, it was all volunteer, but he said that while the money was nice (not a lot, of course), it was getting out and being a part of the real world. He was making a difference and doing something meaningful. Even if it was shit work. Of course, he loves being out and doing things. Guy is always busy doing something. He's not one that can just sit around and watch TV or just sit idle.

The cost of the MP3's is one thing. Prices in prison are outrageous and need fixed. The loss of all previous purchases? In or out of prison, that's fucked up. That's why a lot of people are against digital purchases in the first place. Losing content and having to rebuy it without any compensation for the loss. Fuck that prison.

With private for-profit prisons it is possible to be both.
I don't know how many states allow privately run prisons, but mine doesn't. They are all owned and operated by the state. But even in the case of privately operated prisons, they are a business and need to make a profit, just like the companies that supply food and equipment to state run facilities. In the end though, prisons are a cost to the tax payers and the idea that they are a net money making enterprise is ridiculous on the face of it.

Back