Floppy Drive

OhSnapWord

n00b
I'm getting ready to start a new build that I'm calling "Project Sleeper". I managed to get my hands on an old beige case that dates back to 1999; in it, I'm going to build a computer that can play the most modern titles at medium to high graphics settings and playable framerates.

The biggest challenge I'm facing is making an internal floppy drive work. It wouldn't have the look of an old rig without one. As far as I know, motherboards haven't had a floppy connector since LGA775 or Socket AM2/AM2+. My thinking is somehow adapt an external USB floppy drive into an internal housing. I just wanted to bounce the idea off the community and see if anyone had other suggestions.

Once I pull the trigger on the build, I will be posting a build log.

I was contemplating that but card readers weren't commonplace in the late 90's.

Then again, neither was front USB yet I'm retro-fitting the case with that.

Does the floppy drive need to work? I mean do you really have floppies around to use with it? What if you hanged the face plate and put the usb ports or a card reader behind it?

Does the floppy drive need to work? I mean do you really have floppies around to use with it? What if you hanged the face plate and put the usb ports or a card reader behind it?

I second this idea. That would give you the look with some modern functionality.

While it's not the end of the world if the floppy didn't work, I feel like I would be cheating if it didn't. I might bite the bullet and do just that.

Although probably won't work due to the bezel design, but just throwing it out there to spur some creativity:

if you have access to the front facade (or maybe craft your own with an existing blank 3.5" bay cover, how about using an external USB floppy drive and feed the USB out the back?

The only problem is that there is like 1 USB floppy design that I can find (quick search on amazon/newegg/microcenter) and the layout is not in the traditional diskette form factor (the available models have the eject button on top).

Could you use an LS-120 drive with an IDE controller card?

That isdefinitely an option. I do have an IDE controller card that has to be installed anyway to run the ZIP drive.

Although probably won't work due to the bezel design, but just throwing it out there to spur some creativity:

if you have access to the front facade (or maybe craft your own with an existing blank 3.5" bay cover, how about using an external USB floppy drive and feed the USB out the back?

The only problem is that there is like 1 USB floppy design that I can find (quick search on amazon/newegg/microcenter) and the layout is not in the traditional diskette form factor (the available models have the eject button on top).

Another good idea. Maybe I can somehow adapt the USB drive into the housing of an internal drive.

If your motherboard has a PCI slot, you can try to locate a Catweasel MK4 Plus PCI floppy controller. I actually thought about doing something similar with an old 5 1/4 floppy I still have but I would have to find an old case first.

Back