Floppy Drive

shivang222

Limp Gawd
Do you need a floppy drive to build a PC because all the guides for building computers tell you they are necessary...

If they are necessary, what do you need them for?

No you do not need FD anymore. You can even update bios without a FD nowdays...

Unless your resume is on diskette, you dont have a need for it for a few years then when do you need it, you realise your two laptops, gaming rig and general use pc dont have a floppy drive..

:rolleyes:

Why not? its $7 for a floppy. It will be invaluable in that moment you actually need it.

you dont need them, but i never build a computer w/o one, haha.

force of habit i guess. and i have bunch in my basement from stripping old computers, haha.

even if u buy one, it's cheap compared to the total cost of the machine

I still build all my computers with floppy's, very rarely do I use them anymore, but I figure for less than 10 bucks it's better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it.

Floppy drives are used when installing XP onto a raid array. You know, the part where it says "press F6 to install additional drivers" or some shit like that. Otherwise, the only people I know that use them are people who work in the hospital (very low capacity, cant steal too many personal records with them).

Just get an external USB floppy drive and throw it in your closet. Get it out only when needed. Thats what I do.

yes.. i actually am just waiting on the graphics cards to arrive...

so i can use a usb clip drive instead of a floppy drive?

you must be pretty damn young to ask that question lol

floppy disks are the storage medium of yore. There were 2 kinds, first the 5.25" floppy, which the term "floppy" came from because it was thin and, well, floppy.. and then came the 3.5" harder version which retained the "floppy" name. It held a mere 1.44mb of data which was a great deal at the time.

edit: bah you edited your post when I posted this lol

I would not install a floppy drive, for aesthetic reasons. I haven't had one in the last 5 years. Having a floppy drive visible on the front of the case just looks really ugly to me. :p

I can boot from CD.
I can flash the BIOS from windows (or in most cases CD for that matter)
I can buy a 1gb flash drive for under $15 and USB is more common than floppies anymore.
Most things I have on floppy only work under windows 3.11.

I haven't had a floppy drive in 5 years - I don't miss them.

Honestly, you probably don't NEED one, but for $7 you might as well. If you ever do need it, you will be glad you have it.

I had a floppy built into PC for F6 driver sequence in AHCI/SATA driver installation. However I got sick of looking at it (the floppy slots do look good on some cases like the Lian Li's and that's another rereason I kept mine) and pulled it out of the case. Now I just plug it when installing the OS. I leave the case open and just let the flopper hang out for the 5 minutes I use it.

The only time I ever use a floppy is when I flash a bios (don't like doing it when the whole system is up) and running some diskchecking utility.

I restarted installing them on my builds after a couple of "damn, no floppy on this machine" occasions. But as people said: they are dirtcheap,

Honestly, you probably don't NEED one, but for $7 you might as well. If you ever do need it, you will be glad you have it.
X2. For seven bucks, it's worth having one in there. I know you can do most everything you'd want to off CD/DVD-ROM, flash drive, etc. but the "lowest common denominator" in drives still comes in handy, sometimes.

Back