Floppy Drive Woes

Defc0n 6

Gawd
Hello,
On a few of the computers I built, I noticed that the computer will recognize the FDD, but when I put a disc in there and try to open it, I get the "Please insert disc...." message. Could someone please tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks in advance!
-Defc0n 6

Have you tried different disks? And is this in all the systems? Is it just one FDD?

Cheers,

floppy cables are a bitch to get in right, make sure both ends are in correctly. If the LEDs on solid, you goofed up

Originally posted by Guarana [BAWLS]
floppy cables are a bitch to get in right, make sure both ends are in correctly. If the LEDs on solid, you goofed up

If he can try and open it, it must be recoginized in Windows. But quite right the cables are a bitch, I just wish they did it like IDE and had the little notch. Too late now I guess.

Cheers,

Have you tried different disks? And is this in all the systems? Is it just one FDD?
I have tried MANY discs.

Is it possible I goofed up but XP still recognize there is a disc? If so, do you just keep changing floppy till it is eventually right?

The side with twisted cable goings in FDD right?

Thanks for the answers thus far everyone.
-Defc0n

There should be a red (or colored) wire on one side. that is PIN 1. Find PIN 1 on the PCB and match it up.

I think your FDD is toast (I take it its just one drive?)

Because floppies are usually so old, they rarely work. I recently threw out every damned floppy in the house without checking the contents - all gone. Spend a buck and try a new one. If it doesn't work, spend another $15 and get a new drive

Could someone please tell me though if windows recognizes the drive if it is plugged incorrectly? Toast, all 3 of them?

Thanks for the answers!

-Defc0n 6

If it is plugged incorrectly, the access light will stay on permanently upon power up

Originally posted by Defc0n 6
Could someone please tell me though if windows recognizes the drive if it is plugged incorrectly? Toast, all 3 of them?

Thanks for the answers!

-Defc0n 6

No Windows won't recoginize it. Check your disks that could be the issue. All mine were fobared as well. So I just tossed the drive (put it away).

Cheers,

I think windows will recognize it. I thought i had a DOA floppy. Windows saw it but always gave me an error when trying to read/write to it and the light stayed on. (was using a round cable) so then i used the normal flat fdd cable and it worked.
had to flip the round cable a few times till it finally worked.

Back